Haltech E8? NIStune ecu?

snoon

Hi all,

Anyone using the Haltech E8? Or NIStune chip?

Due to my Z32 issues I have been toying with the idea of ditching my Dastek Unichip.

Motec is just far too expensive so that is out of the window.

Was offered a HKS ecu from TDI North in Warrington for £1900 mapped!!! eeerrr £1900?!? is that £900 for the ECU and mapping, and a grand for the brand name?!?

Been offered, by D-Tech Performance in Ossett, a Haltech E8, mapped for £900. This would be running a MAP sensor instead of an AFM. Sounds reasonable, although it is a new tuner who has only just opened so don't know of their rep yet. I suppose you can't knock em til youv'e tried em, but it is my pride and joy afterall!

Also been offered, by The Racing Line in Halifax, the NIStune chip - £500 mapped. This would be using the Z32 AFM (which noble told me doesn't work - how true is unknown I suppose).

Anyone using the E8 or NIStune chip? Anyone any thoughts?

I think I saw that PaulB is going for the NIStune chip at TRL, but hasn't had it done yet?

Cheers
Shaun

Fusion Ed

I use NIStune a lot, and have done more Pulsars on it than anyone else anywhere (as far as I'm aware)... It works very well, £500 is expensive. I do the same for £320

Last edited:
S

str_motorsport

Hi have mapped every running gti-r in Italy firstly with a simple daughterboard and lately with the nistune board and software...they work ver very well, but £500 is a bit expensive...used to sell upgrades in the 130£ region a couple of years ago.

I now have the haltech E8 Ecu, must be really good , but haven't tried it yet since the engine is reing rebuilt...

ram5ay

snoon said:
Due to my Z32 issues I have been toying with the idea of ditching my Dastek Unichip.
Hey mate, read your previous post before about issues with your Z32 maf.
Your Unichip is more than capable of running with a Z32 maf, you'd be surprised at the amount of capabilities/features it has, you can even go to a map sensor based setup with the newer units.
You shouldn't need to fork out more cash on another type of engine management, although if you do Micra Ed's option sounds like a good un. I would look more into your MAF fault, is it definately knackered? You could measure the voltage it is putting out under various circumstances, idle, WOT, etc and compare this to someone elses that is good? Or even try cleaning it?

snoon

I like the idea of ditching all this piggy back stuff in favour of the standalone.
It's having the haltech E8 so other stuff will be for sale.

Don't know if the Z32 is knackered or not. I bought it from JPS trading on fleabay for £90 so should work!!!! Noble said they couldn't get it to work - so who knows.

Fusion Ed

Re-mapped Stock ECU would do everything you need, for a whole lot cheaper than the E8, although the E8 does have more features.

cmng

Haltech, Nistune, Motec, AEM bla bla bla

for first. .ask yourself what you want in ECU
then work out from they

no point paying for a Aftermarket ECU if you not interested to utilising the ECU potential to max

carlengerer

I like the idea of a closed loop tune with a wideband O2 sensor, a straight plugin with base maps, and the ability to tune yourself with software that is straight forward and easy to use. Haltech offers that, I dont see much else that does.

PaulB

yeah im going to be going the NIStune route. Currently running a daughterboard, and this system is an upgrade of what I have. Had good results using the daughterboard at TRL so Il be going back there this summer.

snoon

I have gone for the E8. Confirmed today so should be done within a couple of weeks.

Going to ask them to do a power run at certain level, say 1 bar, on current set up, and then another at 1 bar with the Haltech to see if any gains have been made from just the ECU.

Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Shaun

snoon

Trip - keep me posted on how you get on once it is rebuilt.

I'll let you know what I think once mine is done!

Shaun

snoon

Short version is.....
86.5mm Forge Pistons
550 SARD Injectors
Forge FMIC
3" elbow/downpipe/exhaust
GT2871
And soon to be E8!!

What about your R?

Trip

hmm we really cannot compare map's then

I have (short version)
700CC
MSD coil
MSD ignition
3Bar MAP

I didn't get the plug and play, I re-wired everything from new. I customised the soleniod and water plumbing on the Intake manifold. the E8 will also control boost, shift light and anti lag.

snoon

I'm jealous of your MSD bits!!! I want!!! No doubt cost a fortune though?
What turbo and what boost will you be running?

Mine will also have the 3 bar MAP sensor. I will also be using the E8 for the boost control. No doubt I'll use antilag if I go on a track or something but rarely if at all I would think. If your in the right gear you don't need it.

Your brave doing the wiring from scratch. I'm sure it must be worth the £100 quid for the plug so you can just plug n go!

But then I'm not doing all the hard bit - I'll just be driving!

My hat goes off to you for the effort if you have done it all yourself?!
Shaun

R

rocketship4

Any progress with you guys running the E8? or anyone else running a Nistune?

Cheers,

Geoff.

Trip

snoon said:
I'm jealous of your MSD bits!!! I want!!! No doubt cost a fortune though?
What turbo and what boost will you be running?

Mine will also have the 3 bar MAP sensor. I will also be using the E8 for the boost control. No doubt I'll use antilag if I go on a track or something but rarely if at all I would think. If your in the right gear you don't need it.

Your brave doing the wiring from scratch. I'm sure it must be worth the £100 quid for the plug so you can just plug n go!

But then I'm not doing all the hard bit - I'll just be driving!

My hat goes off to you for the effort if you have done it all yourself?!
Shaun
Car is not complete. I have too many things on my mind and the last thing i need, is to run after my engineer to finalise the engine. Its been at him for over a year now. My new turbo is a GT3071R-WG and will be running 2bar (map sensor limit).

I originally wired the car from scratch and i also included the lights, indicators, power windos, mirrors etc.. I will have another go (next year) after i finish the car and only wire up the engine and brake light, Purely for racing. I might look into the Haltech E11v2 which has more input/ouputs over the E8.

snoon

Mine still isn't mapped due to my Turbo giving up!!

New tubby is on, and run it. Getting mapped at 1 bar tomorrow. Then I can give it a few more miles before mapping at high boost and turning on the launch control and anti-lag!!