GTIROC Trackday 2009

antgtir

Well done Andy and thankyou to all that contributed to both the organising and supply of eats, especially the bucket of pretzels lol.

It was definately the most R's ive seen, and on track also, was great to see them on full throttle.

Was great to see you all, some regular faces but also some old and new. Was good to meet Martyn and friend, cant wait for the video, that was definately one neat bit of kit and for the money, a bargain!

Good to finally meet Bob (and misses) also, its true what they say, you never look like what you envisage people to look like :lol: Sorry to see the R go back on the flat bed but gold star for actually making the effort to turn up. Oh and thanks for the compressor loan :thumbsup:

On now with fitting the brakes and servcing / check of all nuts and bolts on the R ready for the next run.

Ant.

warringtonjack

Was good to see you lot yesterday, shame I couldn't stay a bit longer! Just watching you all made me wish I had my R with me, but alas too far to trailer through the mid wales lanes! :( Was good to see Jeff, and Ant and Aimee after quite a few years! Will try and not leave it so long next time! Was good to speak to Jim, and to meet the rest of the guys. Didn't get time to meet Bob, he was too busy with his head in the engine bay tutting at snapped belts! :roll:

If nothing else, the day has made me more determined to get mine back on the road/track! :thumbsup:

Glad everyone got back safe.

P

pulsarboby

did you pop over mike? thought i had met and spoke everyone:?

ant....was i prettier than you had imagined:madgrin::lol:

ChrisS

On now with fitting the brakes and servcing / check of all nuts and bolts on the R ready for the next run.

Ant.
Ant, those pads that were in mine were a right mess when i looked this morning, pad material was coming away from the metal back plate, cracks and chunks out of em. Think they were the fast road version but might be worth checking before you fit yours.

P

pulsarboby

they did look like poor quality pads chris, theres no comparison with road and track use as youve found out lol.
did you try power bleeder on brakes also?

ChrisS

they did look like poor quality pads chris, theres no comparison with road and track use as youve found out lol.
did you try power bleeder on brakes also?
Think shite is a better description !! Just look like the entire pad is trying to disintigrate. Had trouble stopping for traffic lights on the way home in a 30 zone so probably a good job i called it a day when i did. Doesnt explain the mushy peddle though. When i thought about it a bit more i remembered that it'd had new rear brake pipes fitted just before i got it and no idea what fluid went in at that point. Ive only used 5.1 since when i had the front calipers off to free up and clean. Going to change the fluid right through and might swop the master cylinder whilst im at it just to be safe. Think i'll then get some of those carbotec pads and hope that sorts it out. Shouldnt be any reason why the rest of the set up shouldnt give fairly decent performance.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Never use "those" pads again for road never mind about track use, look at getting braided lines all round (if not already) to help peddle feel, use the same compound of pad all round not just the front and do flush out the system with new fluid so that you know whats in there and its all fresh. ;-)

Then if needed, look at the master cylinder.

ChrisS

Never use "those" pads again for road never mind about track use, look at getting braided lines all round (if not already) to help peddle feel, use the same compound of pad all round not just the front and do flush out the system with new fluid so that you know whats in there and its all fresh. ;-)

Then if needed, look at the master cylinder.
Got the braided lines already. Pads certainly wont be getting used again. Ive a receipt here for £190 for those pads aswell, glad i didnt buy em!!

stumo

Even worse when they're absolutly crap. Doesnt seem to be much in the way of pad options for them, choice is tarox or tarox.

Most pad manufacturers will make pads to your spec and you won't pay too much more for them compared to a pad of similar size that they already make.

antgtir

Oh dear this doesn't bode well for me then. The pads that ive bought are supposedly ones suited for track not fast road, however you never know with these boogers.

There's nothing on the pads to suggest that they are either or? Ill just have to test them properly again :lol:

The Wilwoods actually stood up far better than i ever imagined they would to be honest and for the money are very good, must admit does make you think whether to keep them lol.

Bob - Slimmer and leaner mate :lol: :thumbsup: Was it definately the power steering pump that seized in the end then?

Ant.

warringtonjack

Even worse when they're absolutly crap. Doesnt seem to be much in the way of pad options for them, choice is tarox or tarox.
Have to say I find my EBC 'red stuff' pads brilliant on the track. ;) Only downside is they need a bit of warming up on the road. :doh:

did you pop over mike? thought i had met and spoke everyone
I was only there for an hour or so about lunch time, but couldn't hang around. There's always the GTIROC Track Day 2010!! :thumbsup:

P

pulsarboby

Bob - Slimmer and leaner mate :lol: :thumbsup: Was it definately the power steering pump that seized in the end then?
Ant.
why thankyou ant, never had my quota of pies for that day which may have led to my losing a few pound but il stuff my face tonight to make up for it:lol:

dont know 100% with pump yet but it certainly was almost seized yesterday, the c/s pulley looks fine and thats the only other thing that is likely to throw the belts

Thats not good mate, hope you manage to get something sorted! :-D I'll have a set of standard metal to metal green stuff pads with heavily cracked drilled and grooved discs I'll be taking off soon! I'll give them to you if you wan't, it may be a slight improvement! :doh::thumbsup:

GtIr_1

good to put faces to some of you guys i met. hopefully my R will be on the track next time, thanks to bob for bringing some parts down for me