gtir wont start

t16coupe

went to start my car tonight and it wont start its not fireing just turning over i have not used it since sunday and the last 2 days it as been raining heavy i have got a full plug cover and its bone dry under it im guessing damp could have got in some where

nimhbk

hey Join the club

Mine has not run since last Friday

on the bright side hope you have not spent on HT leads, New coil, fuel filter, and dizzy cap like me and still not working

And check your oil if your persistant like me with turning the bloody thing over

my oil is now 9 parts petrol, 1 part oil lol

Last edited:

danr

water gets in back top of engine, behind rocker cover, below throttle linkage, like a mini swimming pool (think it splashes off oil cap, then drains down the recess). though i doubt this is it.

tomble

Check the ECU is getting power (red LED on the side somewhere) this was my problem a few years back.

Tom

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Mine's not fecking starting now either... looks like the battery is dead, which is a little surprising as it's only a couple of years old and one of those sealed jobbies.

nimhbk

my bosch battery is less ten 2 months old, Pobody boy
so for me i am 100%sure its not that
Hopefully ignition module for me, thats on its way from Bobs otherwise the whole bloody think will be dhl to him lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
When the weather is cold and slippery like this, I could really do with driving an AWD car instead of walking. :?

Ironically I've also got new HT leads and a new fuel filter too, but as the starter only gives one whir then gives-up I'm pretty sure they're not to blame.

bensmith907

Have you dried everything out completely? Plug wells, leads, dizzy, coil lead, coil pack? Wd40 on everything? also no fuses have broken for the fuel pump etc

t16coupe

going to spend some time on it tomorrow and will spray all ignition parts with that slicone spray that repels water fuel pump is primeing ok and smell of fuel is there when turning it over

bensmith907

dont know anything about silicone spray not sure if its thin enouth to get in any cracks or hidie holes but repel water is exactly what wd40 does too! have you looked inside the dizzy too? give it a good old clean out!

danr

have you checked the error codes before spraying stuff everywhere?
just short the pins on the obd connector.
short out for 3 seconds CHK & 12V IGN
5 long flashes & 5 short flashes = OK
if not, record what flashes

Last edited:

danr

coil to dizzy cap wire is know to corrode, my old one was stick fast in dizzy cap. corroded. and the coil plug was all tarnished too.
check them too.