gt28 v3071 ??

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Fazz said:
It was this and other reports that decided it for me and this is exactly what i got!

hoping to show similar results as steve in terms of spool up and power when i'm set up and mapped...

steve - get on the dyno!!! gotta be 430bhp anyway.....??
Yeah I will do after Xmas, I have a few tweeks I want to finish first.

Also noticed that my front chassis rails have been badly attacked by the rust monster (the part the anti roll bar bolts up to) since I last looked under the car, in fact I think the passenger one has peeled away from the body a little. So that'll be both rails replaced before I go anywhere.

Fusion Ed

oap-r said:
Ed,do you ever recomend any turbo other than the 3071? I've been sniffing about now for a while and the 3071 seems to be mentioned in quite a lot of your responses.
Your right. I wasn't going to post in this thread for this very reason. Its unfortunate that my view is seen as biased, its even more unfortunate that because this unit is seen as the popular choice people some don't want it, just to be different.
There are of course other options. I have a list of them, but this does not change the fact that for the applications most people want its perhaps the all round best option, almost everyone wants to get around 400-450bhp with the GTi-R, that kind of narrows down what is suitable!

Who knows soon more improvements may arrive and another turbo do even better, especially if VNT turbos mature enough for petrol cars in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

it seems to me that the 3071 has been proven to be a good unit for spool up time and power all the way through the band!
imo i couldnt give a $hit whether its fashionable or not, im looking for the best results from my car and if the 3071 fits the needs then 3071 its got to be!

and in all fairness to ed he doesnt really deserve to get slated for trying to flog one! there are lots of places that sell them, and at the end of the day im after the best price i can get!
this is after all a forum which is designed to help owners in every way, regarding advise, structured criticism(rob), s/h spares and new parts as well as all the other stuff!

im no mug, i know what i want to pay for one, so it all comes down to each individual making up there own mind regarding purchases and so forth.

theres a lot of people out there who will pay silly money for things that quite frankly aint worth half of the purchase price, but if there happy paying that, then thats there ultimate choice, but dont start whining when you go to sell after a few months and expect to get your money back, unless your lucky enough to find another mug!

anyway ed! you gonna take this crisp hundred quid or not for it? offer wont be on the table for ever you know!:twisted: :thumbsup:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
it seems to me that the 3071 has been proven to be a good unit for spool up time and power all the way through the band!
imo i couldnt give a $hit whether its fashionable or not, im looking for the best results from my car and if the 3071 fits the needs then 3071 its got to be!

and in all fairness to ed he doesnt really deserve to get slated for trying to flog one! there are lots of places that sell them, and at the end of the day im after the best price i can get!
this is after all a forum which is designed to help owners in every way, regarding advise, structured criticism(rob), s/h spares and new parts as well as all the other stuff!

im no mug, i know what i want to pay for one, so it all comes down to each individual making up there own mind regarding purchases and so forth.

theres a lot of people out there who will pay silly money for things that quite frankly aint worth half of the purchase price, but if there happy paying that, then thats there ultimate choice, but dont start whining when you go to sell after a few months and expect to get your money back, unless your lucky enough to find another mug!

anyway ed! you gonna take this crisp hundred quid or not for it? offer wont be on the table for ever you know!:twisted: :thumbsup:
Here, here :cheer2:

And why not, it's a very good, all round, mid power unit that just happens to suit the R' very well.

Bobby, as you know I bought mine direct from TD (where Ed & Alan get theres from) but if you can buy it cheaper from Ed then why not.

Steve

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
pulsarboby said:

Don't get the wrong idea,i wasn't slating or criticising anyone.

If ed has a job lot of them,or makes a gazillion in profit off each 1 i really don't mind but,if he's recommending a 3071 in all cases without considering other turbos,then that is a different matter :-D

Power/torque delivery is not only about the size of the turbo,it's about considering the entire spec of the car :thumbsup: TBH,i thought that the 3071 was old hat but i'm sure Rishi will put me right if that opinion is wrong ;-)

P

pulsarboby

oap-r said:
Power/torque delivery is not only about the size of the turbo,it's about considering the entire spec of the car :thumbsup: /quote]

thats what i posted thread up for bruce! whats the best turbo for my spec car? and in a nutshell the spec is huge, built to take very large horses;-) but the downside is its gotta carry one heavy fcuking jockey :lol:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Bobby - whats the spec of your engine? Will have a better idea of whats more suitable. Also what compression ratio did you build your engine to? Spec of the head too?

Bruce - the basic GT30 series has been around a while now but isn't too old hat, not when you compare it to the WWII technology we were all using before. Although the way its used is. Most just bolt it on. Me personally would use the newer housings available like the Twin Scroll options with modified A/R to help response and spool. You can modify a turbo just like anything else. If i was to use a GT30 series i would spec it myself for my own requirements and not just use the basic off the shelf GT3071R.

Rishi

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
RishiGTiR said:
Bobby - whats the spec of your engine? Will have a better idea of whats more suitable. Also what compression ratio did you build your engine to? Spec of the head too?

Bruce - the basic GT30 series has been around a while now but isn't too old hat, not when you compare it to the WWII technology we were all using before. Although the way its used is. Most just bolt it on. Me personally would use the newer housings available like the Twin Scroll options with modified A/R to help response and spool. You can modify a turbo just like anything else. If i was to use a GT30 series i would spec it myself for my own requirements and not just use the basic off the shelf GT3071R.

Rishi
So can my 3076 can be improved?

P

pulsarboby

right it has:
teflon 87mm forge pistons
lightened-balanced crank
lightweight flywheel
shotpeened rods
arp bolts
high tensile shells (big end)
mains standard
ported & polished head - no skim
278 piper wild cams
tomei uprated double springs
kept valves standard although new!
1.2mm hks h/g
stainless 4 branch manifold
3' stainless exhaust, straight through with 5'' outlet
mocal oil cooler
iridium plugs
fmic
bailey d/v
magnecor leads
700cc sard injectors
fse fuel regulator & gauge
z32 afm
walbro high output f pump
fuel surge tank with in built walbro pump (in line)
oil catch tank
water swirl pot
fans wired to run constant to aid extra cooling
water wetter
k&n induction kit
a/c removed
rps 6 paddle clutch
turbo????????????
will also be running high octane race fuel mix if permissable!
not sure on compression ratio but think its 8:5:1

Rishi

Suprised you don't know your compression. Its something that you need to be very specific about as it defines how your engine will run and what boost you can run with any given type of fuel and also affects how your turbo spools etc. Its a very important part.. :-o

Are you using std head studs and std rods too?

With the manifold you are using and the exhaust you are already using you are restricted to the straight, simple bolt on turbos really.

With that in mind i would be looking at the GT3071R.

Rishi

P

pulsarboby

will work out comp ratio a bit later:oops:
yes standard head studs and rods although they have been shotpeened and checked for twist etc!
was told that the rods are good to carry in excess of 500bhp as the bolts are the weak point! and head bolts should match that figure, but only time will tell!

3071 does seem like the one to have though;-)

Fusion Ed

Id like to say that, all I want is for every pulsar that I deal with either directly, or indirectly on this forum to be the fastest pulsar in the world. :) In other words, any thing I say is only ever intended to make people go faster, or better etc..

BTW no one has yet got the most out of the turbo in this thread, Its capable of over 2.5bar under the right conditions..

Just looking at other maps however the GT3582 looks nice...

Rishi

I've always said 2.3bar for that turbo.. Still trying to convince someone who has it to do it... :lol:

Rishi

gtirx2

Just to poke my nose in what sort or torque could you expect on the gt3071r at 2.3bar of boost then?

Rishi

Results i've seen so far

GT3071R @ 1.4bar - 395bhp/375lb.ft

GT3071R @ 1.7bar - 420bhp/450lb.ft

GT3071R @ 2.3bar - i would estimate near on 450bhp/500lb.ft

Rishi

stumo

no :cry:

it's not far off now though.:thumbsup:

need to get an ecu, still don't know which one to go for....Emanage seems ok but would prefer a proper ecu, would have liked a FC pro, AEM seemed on the cards but people seem to have wierd problems with it, Omex could be a goer but need to speak to them first............decisions