Group Buy: Automatic Mirror Folding Mod

Yes, I know it's in the wrong section :roll: :lol: I have discussed/cleared this with Steve Pudney and it will be moved to the correct sub-forum if I get enough interest and pay my membership subs ;-)

Some years back, I (along with AJ4 Ross; no longer in GTiR land) made a prototype version of an auto-mirror-folder that folds your electric folding mirrors in when the ignition is switched off. This also works nicely with turbo timers too. It works with the Pulsar mirror control switchgear that's also found in Skylines, Imprezas, 300ZXs, etc. Pretty much any car that uses the Nissan switch. Working separately after that, we perfected it into a nice little device that was small and neat and easy to install. Ross was going to sell it to Pulsar owners and I was going to sell it to Impreza and Skyline owners (which I did, and the group-buy on the GTR Register went well). Anyhow, Ross never got round to building any and consequently didn't offer them to you lot.

Steve Pudney saw the GB over on the GTR Reg and said that I could do one on here if I wished as Ross departed the scene some time back and seems unlikely to be bothered by me doing it.

Here is the original prototype (which I still use on whatever car I happen to own) connected to my GTR Skyline back in June 2008.
[youtube]3tx37cyQXnk[/youtube]

And here fitted to my old WRX Impreza showing it working with a turbo timer.
[youtube]DIVsZKUkmVE[/youtube]

I said to Steve that I would go ahead with the GB (and pay the membership fee to support the club) if I got 20 people interested. Basically, I can't be arsed to make them for any less than 20 people as they're fiddly and time-consuming to make, lol.

The price would be £20 posted within the UK. This is quite a lot cheaper than the Skyline lot got them for as they have a club shop that takes a commission on sales. I don't want any money up front, just a list of names that are interested and if we get 20, I'll make a batch, pay the subs and then contact people for payment/addresses/etc.

So, if your car has a switch similar to this (note the foldy bit):

Then you can buy one of these:

There are full-colour downloadable instructions for fitting in pdf format. It takes about 30 mins to fit if you've never done one before and it's very simple. There's a permanent live to run to the device, the rest of the connections are at the back of the switch itself.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Without any intention to detract from this group buy; is this something that is already on the market? - I only ask as every import I've ever owned (with electric mirrors) has had automatic folding mirrors, and I always thought it was just one of those JDM things. I thought it might be driven by the alarm, but my mother-in-law has a Carona that does this without an alarm/immobiliser, and my Skyline and Pulsar have different alarm systems.

For £20 you can't really go wrong with this, and I've always liked the way it folds the mirrors-in when I lock the doors.

I've never seen anything like it for sale anywhere else. Some cars will do this automatically apparently, but not ones fitted with this particular version of Nissan's switchgear. Even my current 2003 JDM Blobeye Scoob will have one fitted soon ;-)

danr

you need to be clever with the relays for our cars though, even if the alarm does it! (As the power is switched polarity, not straightforward!)
i have one of these kits on mine, i paid £30 at the skylne shop, grrrrrRRR lol ;_) but love it.
you can do this mod on earlier jap cars yourself (like my early FTO but even they changed to switch +/- later). a couple of relays attached to ign switch, but like said the pulsar is pita switched power.
£20 is a steal !! (as all the work is done for you!)

j0ff

Cute.

I'm sure i could do this myself (i've been building custom looms + megasquirt for years) but hell - it's nice to just buy an 'off-the-shelf' item sometimes :)

I s'pose i need to sign up to be a member now, too..

Put me down for one. I'll do my membership this week :p