Grinding noise from the front/middle of the car

When driving the car I've got a grinding/rumbling noise coming from the middle/front of the car.
It's getting no worse or less if I accelerate or let the car just roll out with the clutch pressed.
It also stays the same if I take a corner.
Any ideas which parts I'll have to take home with me when I come to the UK next week? ;-)

GTIR1000

Brakes/gearbox maybe have a look at the brakes see if they are grinding or maybe change the gearbox oil could be anything :)

The brakes are fine, the noise also doesn't change when braking.
Could it be the driveshaft or the transfer box?

I'll see if I can get the car on a lift in the next few days and get a listen under there, so I can look for the parts when I'm in the UK.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Do you know what state they're in? - Has anyone towed the car with all four wheels on the ground?

I'm wondering if your viscous coupling is knackered; maybe it's not welded its self together, rather that's the sound of the plates scraping against each other?

I'm sure someone who knows more about the drivetrain (like Danny) will be able to suggest the most likely diagnosis.

There is enough oil in the transferbox, so I guess it's just f*cked...I just picked up one at Bob so hopefully that will fix the problem.