Grinding noise from brake pedal? Sorted. Now ABS question!

• Thread starter heaven is a gtir (bry)
  • Start date
H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Engine back in after a lot of elbow grease. :D

Just a little problem you might be able to help me with? :roll:

When im driving and i come to a corner i have my foot on the brake. Then when im lifting my foot off the clutch to get it in gear i get a grinding noise from the brake pedal and i can feel it through the brake pedal. :evil:

Also what is the tps plug that you disconnect to do the ignition timing?

Cheers got to put the bumper on tomorrow so im going to have a look tomorrow but if any ideas will be much appreciated. :D

Cheers Bry :D

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Is the tps plug a throttle position sensor?

Been thinking about it and thats all i can come up with.

The plug that comes off the end of the throttle bodies on the passengers side.

Please help me.

Cheers Bry.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Are you actually braking at the time or just resting your foot on/over the pedal?

Can you fel the grinding through the clutch pedal too? If so, it'd possibly suggest the clutch release bearing.

If not, and it's on cornering have you checked the dust gaurd on the brake disc if it's fitted. Or it may be a wheel bearing if it's only on one corner.

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Im actually braking at the time. Its when i lift the clutch pedal i feel the grinding and hear it.

Its not the thrust bearing cos i have just replaced it.

Might check the bearings out tomorrow but i dont think it is them?

Cheers Bry

P.s i found the tps plug and done the timing.

Stevo

intresting you shouldnt brake on corners :p :lol:

first check the following
are your brake disc warped(mine were and had same noise)
check if you have any pads left :lol:
then jack wheel up and shake wheel for any play as maybe bearing.

LeeSmith

take the wheel off & check the pads, inside as well as outside. Mine started to scrape & by the time i got round to looking at the inside, the inside pad had worn right down to the metal & killed the disc!

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Will check that but it doesnt happen all of the time. Which if it was the pads it would happen all the time and also with the bearing.

Recently had new pads so it carnt be them. ( 2 months ago).

It feels as if it is coming from the gear box then through the brakes. :shock:

Is the abs workings inside the gear box? :?

Also it just passed an mot with the bearings and i watched the mechanic check the bearings and they were fine. :wink:

Keep the sugestions coming and i will check them as they come. :D

Cheers Bry :D

Keira

heaven is a gtir (bry) said:
Is the abs workings inside the gear box? :?
:shock: nope...

are you 100% sure you're not just experiencing the abs in action ?? mine sounds like s h i t when it kicks in, and i would descibe it like a faint grinding noise, horrible feel through the pedal

LeeSmith

sorry, supposed to say it was the actual caliper not working properly! wasn't due to me being a dumbass & not changing the pads!

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Kieron is spot on with the description of the abs kicking in. A feint shhh but when it does that and ive got my foot on the brake pedal it grinds away like metal on metal sound, and i can still feel it through the pedal. :cry:

Its not brakes/bearings and calipers. Thanks for those suggestions though. :D

Im going to investigate more tomorrow so i need the best advice tonight to help me save time. :wink:

Keep them coming :D

Bry :D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Warped flywheel? You've got a bizzare problem so I'm clutching at straws here. Just trying to think if whilst braking the clutch bounces instead of biting, this effect then gets transmitted down the drive shaft to the brakes and back through your pedal?

With this train of thought, is it in all gears, hard braking/soft braking, slow/sudden clutch engagement.

Jim

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Not in all gears when im slowing down from 30mph and below.

Soft braking and slow release of the clutch.

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Sorted the grinding noise out. I just disconnected the small green square fuse for the abs under the bonnet. :roll:

Grinding noise gone! :D

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

1. The light is on on the dash. :(

2. My brakes are like pushing on a brick wall. :shock:

Conclusion

Abs fault, but how do you get rid of the light, and is there a beter way of disconnecting the abs so i will have some of the braking power back? :D

P.s on standard brakes. :oops:

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Just wondering if there is a better way of getting around it than just pulling the green square fuse out? :wink:

O

Olly

Does the abs light come on and go out when engine running NOT driving?
if no then you've got a wire off somewhere and its failing the self test.

If it comes on when driving? look out the ABS info on that gti-r website in OZ i think, so when the lights on you pull over pull off the trim where the flare goes on the passenger footwell, you will see the ecu pull it out a bit and you will see a little red led, all the time the lights on and there's a fault it usually will frlash a code with its light, so do that and see what your code is.

Something to bear in mind though if you just had the lump out and didn't have this before, is are all the connections on drivers side by the engine mount good and clean, also are all earths good and clean??????????????????????????????? :lol: 8)

Keira

heaven is a gtir (bry) said:
Just wondering if there is a better way of getting around it than just pulling the green square fuse out? :wink:

to bin the abs completely you need to lose the sensors, the loom, the ecu, the pump, some other thing that i cant remember what its called :wink: :lol: , you then need to pull the lines that went from the master cylinder to the pump, then pump to the distribution block, make up new lines and re-connect from master cylinder to block.

for all of this you'd want the engine out again, so i wouldn't worry about it now

All of the above is easy enough but there is a difference in the master cylinders between the non abs car and the abs car. The abs cars master cylinder has a valve that the non abs doesn't, i'm not sure what effect this will have with no abs system, havn't looked into what it does yet, i'd imagine its something to do with holding/releasing fluid pressure in the master cylinder as the pump does what ever it does whilst the abs is in action, have really got to look into it as i'd rather not find out my brakes dont work when its all put back together because of it..

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

The light on the dash is only coming on because i pulled the fuse. :roll:

This stopped the original grinding noise. :D

I dont want to strip the whole abs out.

Just wondering if there is a better way to dis-enguage the abs with out the light coming on the dash.