got caught doing 107 on a motorway

kirko

as title
whats best line of defence obviously i am pleading guilty because well i am guilty
just need the best mitigating circumstances and sob story i suppose

vss irvine

Take lots of cash with you to court and get your lawyer to offer it.

Sob stories dont work.

You been done for speeding or motoring offences before?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Do as vss says and take soap and toiletries with you as it may be custodial, were you caught in Britain or Scotland,Ireland,Wales?

lakeview

hopefully it was not in scotland.the scottish are a bunch of corrupt wankers when it comes to speeding i got caught doing 60 in a 60 zone and ended up in court over it a few times

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Try the usual - if I lose my licence it will adversely affect my job, possible loss of home and anything else you can think of.

hopefully it was not in scotland.the scottish are a bunch of corrupt wankers when it comes to speeding i got caught doing 60 in a 60 zone and ended up in court over it a few times
How and where?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Do as vss says and take soap and toiletries with you as it may be custodial, were you caught in Britain or Scotland,Ireland,Wales?
If you're charged with dangerous driving (rather than simply speeding), that's a real possibility unfortunately. - I can't remember at what point they decide they're charging you with that instead, but I've got a bad feeling triple digits counts.

According to this site mitigating circumstances are:
  • Good driving record.
  • No previous convictions (goes with the above really)
  • Timely guilty plea
  • Shock/remorse (although that sounds like it's only if you've injured or killed someone).
  • Not being drunk or under the influence of drugs (i.e. you were in control despite the claim it was dangerous).

Without intending to sound cynical about it (although I am); there's every chance the CPS will want to make a point of pushing for harsh penalties. - It's a guaranteed win for them with a guilty plea, and they get to make a public spectacle about how they've punished another criminal and are making the roads safer.

Get good legal advice, and may the force be with you.

Empty Pockets

I wouldn't expect to go down considering the sentence that young asian lad just got for doing 165 in the rented R8, 500 pound fine and 3yr ban, an he was a cocky bugger in court, telling them he'll carry on driving, and 'catch me if you can'... Make your solicitor aware of the above (it's in all the papers) so if they start threatening prison he should be able to quash it, unless you were doing it in a built up area with houses etc.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I wouldn't expect a custodial sentence for a first offence either, but like the Doc suggests; it does depend on which authority is charging you.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Scotland now have instant dangerous driving over 108mph which is also known to be instant custodial now, Wales are ultra hot on speeding due to the nazi commissioner being at the forefront of uk speeding campaigns (even after he has been recently convicted of speeding).

Empty Pockets

I think it'll come down to where the incident took place rather than who's charging, motorway, duel carriage etc, hopefully it wasn't in a 30, outside a school etc or it probably will be wise to expect the worse. As far as i'm aware triple figures is an automatic ban. i think the only way to lessen the ban (and increase the fine) would be as fubar suggested, you rely on your car for work, have disabled family members that you care for etc, obviously if your jobs in a static location then it won't work, they'll just tell you to catch a bus.

Empty Pockets

Read the title again... atleast it was on a motorway, and if the Doc's correct with the 108mph rule then you've dodged that. I'm 99% sure it won't be prison, depending on the circumstances, i.e day or night, traffic or empty road etc, i'd reckon a 6-24month ban and a 250-500 pound fine.

littlewimp

They had me doing 106 mph in a 70, i give them the sob story about my job but to no avail, well lets just say i had to get the bus home from the court, but thankfully it was quite a few years ago and i got a 2 week ban. dont think i would of got of so lightly now. !

lakeview

Try the usual - if I lose my licence it will adversely affect my job, possible loss of home and anything else you can think of.

How and where?
got stopped and pulled over into a garage told me my speed ect i told him the sign for 60 mph was about 100 foot back down the road.they then told me that they were in the process of moving the sign that day and must not have removed the old sign yet they said it would be up to the judge or whatever he was called to decide what would happen
ended going on for nearly a year
i refused to sign the summons,then crossed out the charge and wrote my own charge there instead.sent the local police to arrest me over it they refused so went back to court again ended up with £2500 fine 6 points.refused to pay it got the local police to arrest me again but they again refused eventually went to court in newcastle the judge said he had never heard of anything as ridiculous threw out most of the charges had to pay £60 court costs which they let me pay at a £1 a week

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Having done a little more reading, it seems the dangerous driving charge is one they often throw-in as a scare tactic; often people will plead no-contest to the speeding offence rather than face the dangerous driving charge.

The irony seems to be that dangerous driving is harder to prove than speeding, so it's more likely to get thrown-out if you challenge it.

Rux

Hi Kirko,

We deal with a lot of Road Traffic Law related cases at my law firm.

PM me when you get a chance and I'll give you a legal breakdown.

Regards,

Rux

kirko

it was in a 70mph zone quiet motorway good conditions dry road etc.
there is no 3 figure automatic ban
definitely no custodial sentence thats ridiculous
im charged with speeding nothing else
it was in north yorkshire