good intercooler?

lakeview

think id rather have that than use a standard one,nothing wrong with standard one just remember it wasnt as easy as i thought changing it to a front mount

rob

red reading

if you cut the end tanks of one end and get it welded back on with two new pipes added for inlet/exit it will work very well.............think outside the box.

williams

Has anyone done any tests between different intercooler designs? To justify if its worth spending getting a good intercooler with short pipe runs made compared to the regular fmic with the long runs?

red reading

ask a turbo airflow engineer (which there is one on here) and he will tell you what the time is it takes to fill the longer pipe run, it is so minimal you will not be able to tell the difference ...............it's another internet bullshit phalicey about lag and pipe run on turbos.

williams

Are they not both the same style though? I'm meanin more of the actual shape. Autobahn. Style vs standard pulsar 'z' style vs both ports same side etc. Does 1 design cool better and have a smaller pressure drop than the other.I think my ebay job is way over size aswell.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Has anyone done any tests between different intercooler designs? To justify if its worth spending getting a good intercooler with short pipe runs made compared to the regular fmic with the long runs?
Geoff did this. - Not an exhaustive test, but he tested a few different designs by measuring the drop in charge temperature across the intercooler; the cheaper "copy" designs simply didn't work as well as the "brand name" ones.

I'm not sure exactly which he tested.

EDIT: Ooops - Look at who's already replied. :doh:

whytie

I'm sure that afficiencies have been tested on a evo forum. I'm sure they tested them on the RRoad and also on track and some of those eBay jobbies had alarming outlet temps after 10-15 mins in track. It was something like 18 degrees higher than the forge.

That intercooler looks horrible, I steer well clear.

Geoff, do have a post with your results? I have a few questions:
What was the range of flow rates tested?
Did you measure the pressure drop across the intercooler?
Was the test static, i.e. no flow over the fins/plates?
What period of time did you use to reach thermal equilibrium?

And front mounts create lag is nonsense, here's the thread explaining the reasoning:
http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34184&KW=

Last edited:

skiddusmarkus

Yeah I'd be interested in seeing what pressure drop the Forge has as it has some bends coming out of the intercooler that could certainly do with smoothing out.

williams

That intercooler looks horrible, I steer well clear.Geoff, do have a post with your results? I have a few questions: What was the range of flow rates tested? Did you measure the pressure drop across the intercooler?Was the test static, i.e. no flow over the fins/plates?What period of time did you use to reach thermal equilibrium?And front mounts create lag is nonsense, here's the thread explaining the reasoning:http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34184&KW=
What makes that intercooler bad? What's the best shape intercooler to use? Is it best to use as small an end tank as possible?

I don't like having the inllet/exit on the same side. It is possible to have a good set up but it requires that the end plates are carefully designed to ensure even flow through the core. I am yet to see an aftermarket intercooler with the coonectionson the same side (that like that one) have just used an abitrary angle. Much better to have the connections in the middle of the core with nice radii on the end plates for example:

and if that can sufficiently cool 600hp I'd be very much supprised.