Gearbox

niklock1

Ive been saving for a new clutch. I was just getting to my road last night and i couldnt get 1st or 2nd gear , so its looking like i need another gearbox again , I've only had this one in a few months i bought it second hand off fleebay! So what do i do, i still have my old box in my garage that had one of the slector forks broken in it. I have about £700 quid at the mo i can get hold of, would it be posible to get the old box reconditiond and what would they do and how much would it cost me?

GTiR_Mic

I dare say the £700 wouldn't be far off a re-build mark for the std gearbox, PM MR GTIR (Andy) he just got his gearbox done not that long ago...see what he paid for his.

Mic

Mr GTiR

GTiR_Mic said:
I dare say the £700 wouldn't be far off a re-build mark for the std gearbox, PM MR GTIR (Andy) he just got his gearbox done not that long ago...see what he paid for his.
I had mine rebuilt by Ian at Hi Teq and it cost £600 for both selector froks, all new bork rings and all new seals.

All my bearings were ok so Ian left them alone. If i needed bearings as well then it could have been close to teh £1k mark :shock:

The most expensive bit is the parts as they all add up!

As your from Kent, send a pm to Mike exgtir or Ashills ;-) I think Bearney the gearbox man is down your way.

maz

id save up a bit more bud and just wait till u can afford a quaife. im in the same boat as u right now, and i just dont see the point in spending 700 quid on a new standard gear box when i could just put that towards a quaife, which i can get supplied and fitted for 2600. its a lot. but atleast u know that it wont need a rebuild in 2 months time. :)

Mr GTiR

Yep i agree but sometimes we don't have the luxuary of saving up that kind of money for a Quaife.

It's not the gearset that is the expensive bit but the new parts needed to rebuild it. At least my box is brand new so it should only cost me about £1800 for my Quaife to be built up. I'm going to buy another box and put that in my car and give Ian my rebuilt one and ask him to fit a Quaife (when i have the money).

niklock1

maz said:
id save up a bit more bud and just wait till u can afford a quaife. im in the same boat as u right now, and i just dont see the point in spending 700 quid on a new standard gear box when i could just put that towards a quaife, which i can get supplied and fitted for 2600. its a lot. but atleast u know that it wont need a rebuild in 2 months time. :)
well quaife only guarrente for standard power and 30 k miles so its just not worth it.

Dooie Pop Pop

niklock1 said:
well quaife only guarrente for standard power and 30 k miles so its just not worth it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: pmsl!! thats gotta be one of the most ridiculous things iv ever read....guarantee/motor sport? lol

iv been running my quaife with nearly or well over 400lbft for the last 18 months with no worries:-D

maz

niklock1 said:
yea, I dunno where u got that info from.. but if u wanna be runnin a modified R on a reliable gearbox then u better get a quaife, other wise ur gonna bankrupt ur self over the next few years gettin rebuilds.

ex-gtir

i supply quaife with hyd equipment through my business.
dont offer much warrenty or quote high power figures
people thinking the only way to go is quaife are talking out there asses
let see newest car is 10years old now so box has had a long hard life
so a rebuild on standard are more than enough for most car.
ive seen 3 quaife boxes that have failed 2 cases and 1 seized gear on shaft
all i see is people wasting money paying more than half the value of the car on box seen ridiculous :der:
changing subject i can get a quaife 6 speed sequential and linkage fully built for my exige for 3500 now that is less than 15% of the cars value seems a lot more reasonably
even standard boxes quite easily cost 500 to 1000 in spares alone before cost of labour
mike

Dooie Pop Pop

and how long did it take the box on your exige to start complaining about your driving style? not bad for a standard car:lol:

Quaife couldn' t work out how Al' s gear siezed...do you know why it failed Mike?

O

Odin

I love my Quaife, It has lasted a good 40k so far of very hard use only needing a rebuild of the nissan bearings and stuff after 36k.

I think the biggest mistake people make is thinking that a gearbox should last for ever on a car that they have added at least 50% more power to, Even 3 grands worth of Quaife box will need over hauling from time to time depending on what you use it for and how much power your chucking through it.

If you have a 30-40k old Quaife and then chuck even more power through it then there's a good chance that the nissan bearings or syncro's could fail, which may take the quaife gear set out with it. SO IS THAT QUAIFES GEAR SETS FAULT OR THE PERSON WHO THINKS JUST BECAUSE THEY PAID 3K TO GET A QUAIFE FITTED THAT EVERYTHING ELSE SHOULD LAST FOR EVER AS WELL ?.

Just my thoughts on the whole gearbox debait lol.

Rob

Dooie Pop Pop

nicely put as always Rob...:D

i like my battered old mini sounding Quaife, i had it fitted because i dont like the idea of stripping gears (running near on 100% over stock its a definate possibilty lol) bearing rebuilds i can handle, they usually give a fair warning anyway.

anyone fancy giving me a standard box? i' ll see how long it takes me to kill it!:twisted::lol:

ex-gtir

Dooie Pop Pop said:
and how long did it take the box on your exige to start complaining about your driving style? not bad for a standard car:lol:

Quaife couldn' t work out how Al' s gear siezed...do you know why it failed Mike?
turned out to be a knackered wheel bearing no one told me they only make a droning noise no movement when you jack it up :doh: so thought id change box and do clutch while i was at it clutch was more than due for a change release bearing was in 6 bits:thumbsup:
yes i know in my oppion what happened to allan box

Dooie Pop Pop

ex-gtir said:
yes i know in my oppion what happened to allan box
LOL @ the gearbox/bearing.

so come on Mike id like to know what your thoughts are on Allen' s Quaife and why it failed:-D not arguing or looking for a debate im genuinely interested...pm me if you' d rather not say on the board;-)

niklock1

Oh well time to start saving again i guess, i might contact quaife and get a price on the forks and fit em myself

T

tro||

ex-gtir said:
all i see is people wasting money paying more than half the value of the car on box seen ridiculous :der:
all i see is a nobhead talking crap about gearboxes :lol:

niklock1

All i see is people with more money than sense, My house will take priority over my car any day and i think mike talks a lot of sense.