Gearbox Options

MrMischief

Right folks, I know this has been discussed to death but I'd like some opinions on my options.

My R is pretty track biased, only really use it on the road to & from events. It ran 384bhp at 1bar last time on the rollers with the previous owner prior to a new turbo & head refurb.

It's still on a standard box & while having a wee play today, 3rd gear went AWOL...guess it was only a matter of time

Will a Quaife helical gearset with external bracing be sufficient if I decide to turn up the wick a bit in the future or should I be looking towards a straight cut box?

Thoughts appreciated...

red reading

Quaife will be fine for your needs, if it's any help there has been people running over 550hp and 450lbft of torque on them.
They are also easy to be able to get parts for as well compared to other manufacturers as they hold stock on the shelf.

the brace is a good idea but not a necessary thing to fit unless you like doing standing starts, a billet 3rd/4th gear selector fork from ppg is a better think to fit for track use.

red reading

If you get a Quaife kit to go in your gearbox make sure all the bearings,syncro energiser springs, seals and any worn parts are replaced and it should last for years with good maintainance .

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Don't forget to do the required machining when you fit the Quaife set. - If it's not included with the gears, the instructions are available as a .pdf from their website.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Don't forget to do the required machining when you fit the Quaife set. - If it's not included with the gears, the instructions are available as a .pdf from their website.
That doesn't apply to the helical gears esp 3rd 4th and 5th as mine went in perfectly with no machining!

vpulsar

I never had any issue with my last cars quaife and I had that in the car for over ten years, But I did have it rebuilt after about 25k but it never let me down and I used to drag race it regularly.

I've also gone for a Quaife on this new car as well.

Rob

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
I may know off a quaife coming up soon, basically a whole car that is a very nice spec maybe breaking with quality brand name parts.