Fun at oulton park(kind of)

bob the builder

my engine is not a problem just a hiccup.
i did buy it with no history and the engine in bits in the boot so i think its done well to last a track day at oulton in december, lots of power sliding on the redline in the snow and the time it lasted on track this time.
johnsy dont be put off, its the best fun you will ever have.
as long as you put some good oil in before hand and keep an eye on you temps, and keep to shorter track stints unlike me, you should be ok.
i was just having too much fun overtaking and everytime i thought about coming in a spotted another victim.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
your starting to put me off going on this track day now!

i maybe ordering a oiler cooler sooner rather than later now!
Things to need for the trackday:

Oil cooler
Fresh oil
Oil Filter

All this engine talk sounds like we are a bunch a pussy's :fight:

If you take your time, learn the track and drive without thrashing it like your life depended on it then you'll be fine

The key is prep, do your prep right and you'll be laughing.

The issue here is that people that do have problems post up on the forum, the ones that don't say nothing as there is nothing to comment about; and there are far more people that have no issues than people that do

Wusses!
:roll: :lol:

bob the builder

too true.
not sure about not thrashing it like my life depended on it, as it just feels soooooo good. but saying that i never take it above 6k on the revs.

johnsy

iv just serviced it with that slikolene pro s stuff 10-50w and a new filter, i may have to give the oil cooler a miss, no funds

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
iv just serviced it with that slikolene pro s stuff 10-50w and a new filter, i may have to give the oil cooler a miss, no funds

You don't have to spend big to buy a cooler, I've got an unbranded 13 row cooler and its been spot on since day one.

See if anyone is selling one in the for sale section?

I've done a track day with out an oil cooler, but I wouldn't recommend it...

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Has anyone any thoughts on the bonnet vent blanking plates.? should these be removed at this time of year / for trackdays?
Mine are permanently removed, I'd say remove yours for the summer then stick them back on when the weather gets crap.

But in your opinion (experience?), can the R be used on track reliably as long as the power is kept to a sensible level and cooling is taken care of?

Big power laggy cars would be no use for tight circuits anyway I imagine!
Yeah course it can, my car has never missed a beat in all the 5 years I've had it - my moto is: KEEP IT SIMPLE :thumb:

This way the car works well, you have no problems and you can enjoy your day with out worrying about something going wrong.

As for lag, it depends on how laggy you mean? You can still have a powerful car on track with a big turbo, but you need to know how to drive it and what gear to be in for each corner. Once you've mastered that then the rest should look after itselft

And don't even think about using anti-lag on a track day, that's just ridiculous and you look a tit! :roll:

P

pulsarboby

But in your opinion (experience?), can the R be used on track reliably as long as the power is kept to a sensible level and cooling is taken care of?

Big power laggy cars would be no use for tight circuits anyway I imagine!

yep as said above
its fine if you keep the power down to a respectable limit.
as andy has said 'hes had very few probs' but is running just 0.8-1 bar boost so will be around 300bhp, the cars are much more reliable at that figure.
its those 'like myself' and dare i say steve ferguson and a fair few others that i know that are pushing way above the 400 mark that are having all the troubles due to excess heat plus the fact that the cars are no longer running standard ecus or anything else so therefore have to be mapped......this is when all the problems seem to arise

as said above:
keep it simple with setup
oil cooler is a must as is bigger rad
and most important thing of the lot is to keep a close eye on all gauges and dont get carried away with doing too many laps, its so easy too pick your next target then the next and so on (thats my big failing lol) but it will bite you in the ass if you stay out there when temps are going through the roof:lol:

johnsy....if you want an oil cooler but are lacking in funds then il sort one for you and just pay me over a couple months, you will need one;-)

vss irvine

keep it simple and do your prep work, if you think your going to have an issue with something on your car, then fix it beforehand

and yes, you do need an extra oil cooler.

vpulsar

You have the right idea Bob keep the power levels sensible add enough cooling and you should be fine, Something like the GT28RS is the turbo I'd use if I ever built another pulsar and would make a fantastic quick spooling track day warrior lol.

vpulsar

I would like to add that the first jobs I'd concentrate my funds on before upping the power is the brakes/cooling/handling in that order then and only then think about making it faster.

I had one of those plates on my car that direct more air through the rad, I'm not sure just how much that helped but it all adds up, I was using the 53mm alloy rad but I think that is over kill and the copper rad would suffice in my opinion, And mount the oil cooler in a good location to get plenty of cool air flowing through it.

I happen to also agree with Bob's comments about bad mapping, you don't want to be relying on diluted oil protection your engine when on track.

John

williams

does the sr20 not have any kind of piston cooling? when i build a c20let engine for my old nova i fitted oil spray jets from the 2l diesel vaux engine, i had to drill into the main bearing journals and grind in oil ways to the jets, but maybe this could be a good modification to the sr20 if they dont already have something like that?

williams

pics of what i mean

in this 1 you can see where i made the new oil way, the jet is also fitted in here

this is 1 of the jets, not that expensive from vauxhall

P

pulsarboby

yes there are oil squirters to pistons in place already marc

Mad

there is not need to renew them unless physically damaged, they are not valves but always open calibrated jets and the strength of the oil jet they produce is dictated by the blocks over all oil pressure...........

Steve

P

pulsarboby

there is not need to renew them unless physically damaged, they are not valves but always open calibrated jets and the strength of the oil jet they produce is dictated by the blocks over all oil pressure...........

Steve

that isnt actually correct for godsake:lol::lol:

they are opened by a preset spring located within the securing bolt for the jet itself.
assaid theres no need to renew them but its a good idea to run carb cleaner through the small jets to make sure there are no blockages
also make sure the spring is free to move in the securing bolt itself

Mad

that isnt actually correct for godsake:lol::lol:

they are opened by a preset spring located within the securing bolt for the jet itself.
assaid theres no need to renew them but its a good idea to run carb cleaner through the small jets to make sure there are no blockages
also make sure the spring is free to move in the securing bolt itself
Opp's, I stand corrected, I forgot about the mech in the block, I'm getting rusty in my old age, maybe I'm gunked up and need some carb cleaner :lol::lol::lol: