fueling

nismoboy

i need some uprated fuel pump info ive currently got the walbro 255 lt, this is supplying my 700cc injectors and my fueling is maxing out at 1.3 bar.I was told the reason for this could be the wiring to the pump as the walbro needs 13.5 v to supply 255lt :?: So whats the best way round this problem as i need a pump that will supply enough juice for 1.6 bar :?: is 13.5 v to the fuel pump a bit much? as i thought pumps usually operate at 12v? would it be a better idea to get a better pump and run that a 12v to the pump and just turn the fuel pressure up to 3.5 bar?

Also does anyone have any info any other pumps which supply more fuel than the walbro? if the walbro is a 255lt what would i need for 1.6 bar (300lt) :?: :?:

cheers nis

A

Anonymous

Normal fuel pump voltage is about 14.4 volts when the engine is running.

What turbo are you using, and what is the base fuel pressure set too?

nismoboy

Ben said:
Normal fuel pump voltage is about 14.4 volts when the engine is running.

What turbo are you using, and what is the base fuel pressure set too?
im using the gt2871r turbo mate, not exactly sure what the base fuel pressure is but it should be standard.

A

Anonymous

Then your first job is to check the fuel pressure. The pump and injectors could be doing their job fine, but if you've got poor fuel pressure then it's no wonder you have problems.

If you're still using the standard pressure regulator, replace it with a decent adjustable rising rate one you can mount a gauge on.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You're maybe maxing out your MAF...

Are you using the standard one...

I'm using the Z32 MAF and its maxed out at 1.4/1.5bar... :shock:

Rishi

A

Anonymous

nismoboy said:
Will do thanks mate. What is the standard fuel pressure?
It should be around 35psi base and increase 1:1 with each psi of boost. (So 35psi base, plus 15psi boost = 50psi total fuel pressure).

nismoboy

RishiGTiR said:

Rishi
:shock: im using the z32 maf, i was told by rc deleopements that it was the pump? they said it needed rewiring or possibly a bosch one fitted? i just wanna get the problem sorted so i can get a remap and get the boost up. Im using a power fc pro but dont really now that much about it, is there a menu i can selct on the commander to veiw the airflow voltage? to see if im maxing out the maf? if it is the maf is i just a case of fitting a q45?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
nismoboy said:
RishiGTiR said:

Rishi
:shock: im using the z32 maf, i was told by rc deleopements that it was the pump? they said it needed rewiring or possibly a bosch one fitted? i just wanna get the problem sorted so i can get a remap and get the boost up. Im using a power fc pro but dont really now that much about it, is there a menu i can selct on the commander to veiw the airflow voltage? to see if im maxing out the maf? if it is the maf is i just a case of fitting a q45?

I use the PowerFC PRO too... If you go to settings... Look under AirFlow i think it is... Make sure that VG30 was selected... If not then take it back to them to have it changed and mapped again... To be honest i doubt RC would have missed that one... The Walbro Pump is fine for whatever you want to run on that turbo although there was a topic on here somewhere about the wiring of the Walbro and how it becomes funny over time... Do a seach for it... It may just need looked over and re-fitted...

Rishi

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have you checked what voltage the pump is getting? And possibly cleaned up the earth to gain more voltage?
An uprated fuel pressure regulator might allow you to up the pressure abit to gain some more fuel too.

nismoboy

Fast Guy said:
Have you checked what voltage the pump is getting? And possibly cleaned up the earth to gain more voltage?
An uprated fuel pressure regulator might allow you to up the pressure abit to gain some more fuel too.
If i re- earth the fuel pump to gain more voltage will this affect the fuel map of the power fc :?:

A

AVOGTIR

what about running a relay in the old power lines of the pump and run new wires to the pump, throught the relay.

the old fuel pump circuit triggers the relay, and opens the circuit for the new pump.

easier if the battery is in the boot .

nismoboy

AVOGTIR said:
what about running a relay in the old power lines of the pump and run new wires to the pump, throught the relay.

the old fuel pump circuit triggers the relay, and opens the circuit for the new pump.

easier if the battery is in the boot .
yeah i want to rewire it all but if i do will this effect the map of the power fc ie will it over fuel due to higher voltage to the pump?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
nismoboy said:
If i re- earth the fuel pump to gain more voltage will this affect the fuel map of the power fc :?:
I guess in theory if you're running OK at the moment, the fuel pressure regulator should be looking after things, so if you already have enough fuel, then any extra fuel gained should be put back to the tank. It means you should have more fuel in reserve, so you can possibly max out abit later than you were now.
If you start getting black smoke tho, you'll know the extra fuel is going into the engine.

nismoboy

bit hit and miss really then. I guess my best bet is just to go to a tuner get a new bigger pump fiitted and all rewired then have a re-map. The only problem is all the decent tuners are over 200 miles away from me :(

L

Little Erve

Sounds like the Walbro isn't supplying enough flow at high pressure.

Bosch don't loose as much flow at high pressures.

You'll hear lots of shit on the net about this being or not being true. I seem to find it's true.