Fuel Return

Bart GTI-R

Hi

My R has had some trouble when i try to boot it, and when i try and blow down the fuel return pipe my head nearly explodes.

I tried lookin underneath but not sure which one is the return because it looks like there are 2 - 3 pipes running back, could anyone tell me whats what it would be a great help,

Cheers

Dooie Pop Pop

the pipe attatched to the fuel filter should go to the fuel rail and the one with the red band (if its still there) is the return :wink:

Bart GTI-R

The ones underneath vehicle are what i cant follow, they are protected by a cover then they go to the petrol tank.

MarkTurbo

What are you trying to do :?:

If you look at all the connections on top the tank the flow/return fuel lines are indicated by an arrow, its pretty obvious which ones which :wink:

Bart GTI-R

When the petrol tank is nearly empty, the car goes like a rocket, if i fill it to half way and drive about 8miles it lacks performance and when i take the petrol cap off a get a lot of pressure releasing.

sypher

pressure release or just moving air noise "shssssss" if definatally pressure i'm unsure, otherwise check tank breather as when pump pulls fuel from tank to rail it may be causing a vacum in the tank. when opening the cap does it drive better again????

get a pressure gauge and test both supply and return lines as if there is a blockage in the return line you will also pressure there (just like the reg' creates or you crimp / sqeeze)

how is the O2 probe signalling when good and then bad???

things to check.....

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You could always try disconnecting the hoses at both ends and try blowing through it. Unless there's something in it, you should be able to this way :?

Bart GTI-R

Thanks Sypher and Fast Guy, I will check the pipes over the bank holiday, and it is a pressure noise as if a vacuum has been created in the tank, sometimes it runs better once iv taken the petrol cap off but not all the time, thats why it puzzled me.

I havnt checked the 02 sensor, I will check that too,

will let you know how i get on over the weekend.

Cheers for your help

A

AJ4

I wouldn't be suprised if you can't blow through the pipe if it has petrol in it, think of the effort it takes to blow a straw full of fizzy coke into someones ear and multiply it by the length and diameter of the full fuel pipe :D

Bart GTI-R

Well i dont know what it was but the car has had a bit off stick the last week and its running loads better, o well cheers anyway guys.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe your plugs or O2 sensor are fouling up and thrashing it abit cleaned them up. :?: