Fuel Pump

G

GTiRich

Hi all, i fitted my Walbro fuel pump on sunday (was an awkward job lol). When the R hits 2000 rpm i get a kind of jingling sound coming from under the bonnet. Is this the car pinking like a bitch?? If it is will it be sorted when i fit my S-afr??? Cheers for any help guys

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It sounds like it could be, was it doing it before?
2000rpm is abit lower than I'd expect tho.

J

Jonny H

thats the sort of noise i get!!! :? doesnt happen regularly and only when the engines warm.

G

GTiRich

Nah it wasnt doing it before. It's just had an engine rebuild and done about 2 miles on the rebuilt engine!!!! I changed the pump over and as soon as i started it and hit 2k it jingles like bells lol

O

Olly

Go back to who fitted it and tell they haven't done it right, end of story. 8)

geetee

Sounds like the pump pick is blocked perhaps.

Or maybe it's a dodgy pump and isn't providing enuff fuel pressure.

You did connect the 3 pipes to the pump in the correct order didn't you :?

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

G

GTiRich

Yeah the 3 pipes are on correctly, could just be that i need to fill up the tank lol. It was pretty empty :?: :?: :?:

geetee

Should be able to pick up enuff fuel until you run out totally in theory.

Definitely odd that it should start this after you uprate the fuel pump.... maybe your messing around has disturbed a whole load of shite in the tank.

Might be worth changing the fuel filter as a 1st shot.

After that, double check your pump install - no kinked pipes in the tank, the pick up bag filter thing is clear, the pump is held properly in the carrier.

After that - you may need prfoessional help to measure the fuel pressure both before and after the FPR.

You could always try retarding your ignition timing slightly in the meantime to stop it pinking, this will lose you power but it should stop you blowing holes in your pistons.

CHeers
GeeTee

8)

J

Jamz

Mine done that when I had very little (also old) fuel in the tank.

geetee

I generally try not to run under a 1/4 tank of fuel at all times, partly for this reason and partly to reduce the chance of any fuel surge probs.

I guess it would be easiest to go and fill up ur tank first.... until of course you have to pull the pump back out of the tank :lol:

There have been a couple of threads about Walbor's being faulty from the factory, but I think that's a last resort!

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Nigell_d6

Hi,

I know if its a Walbro 255, below 1/4 tank when cornering will not pick up, I have ran on less once and wondered whether id make it to the garage

Regards