Fuel gauge

J

Jamz

The fuel gauge on my car doesn't work :cry:

It seemed to work ok before the front of the car sat (quite high) on axle stands for 6 months but now all it shows empty. :(

I'm guessing it's probably a problem with the sender. How can I test it and how difficult would it be to change should it turn out faulty ?

Cheers :D

James

G

GartracS2

Go to the easiest thing first james and check the fuse is ok then the reading you are getting at the combi meter if thats okay you can check the wiring from combi meter to sender using a multimeter set to measure in ohms (continuity). Finally a check of the sender unit itself.

I will try to dig out the w/manual next week. ;)

G

GAZ P

Check the easy things first, fuse, loose conector.If you bridge the positive and negative wires at the sender unit the fuel gauge should read full, I think :oops: , prooving the gauge is OK :D .If the gauge don't move the fault is either the gauge or no feed to the sender unit indicating a fault in the wiring :? .Can someone confirm this as I haven't done this on an R but its how I check the gauges on the sh*tty Landrovers I work on :x .

G

GAZ P

Or it could be a sticking float on the sender, If the cars been on axle stands for 6 months, how much fuel was in the car while it was on the stands :?: , the float on the senders probably dropped to the bottom of the tank and is stuck.Try banging the fuel tank it might free up :D :roll: :D

J

Jamz

The guage was reading about half before it went upon the stands. I'll pull some bits off tonight and give them a test. Cheers for the replys :D

James