fuel cut defender?

S

smcnairn

Is the R fitted with one of these as standard? The reason i ask is mine is overboosting when it overboosts it just boosts till it seems as if its strugling for fuel. This is a long ongoing problem which bugs me. Ive replaced the actuator , all vaccum hoses and fitted a boost controller with no joy!! :(

Fire & skill

Vintage member
smcnairn said:
Ive replaced the actuator , all vaccum hoses and fitted a boost controller with no joy!! :(
is it overboosting even when using the boost controller?

as far as i know the fuel cut defender is a toyota thing, think we just have rev limiters, the det sensor puts the car in safe mode (low boost), but dont think it works if you have removed the standard boost solenoid from circuit :? im sure i will be corrected if im wrong :D

if you havent fitted an uprated fuel pump - its now time to do it :wink:

LeeSmith

we do have a fuel cut. It's done by the ECU but it's set at something like 19 PSI (imports & It's less for the uk Spec, i think at just over a bar) so you won't notice it unless your running pretty high boost.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
LeeSmith said:
we do have a fuel cut. It's done by the ECU but it's set at something like 19 PSI (imports & It's less for the uk Spec, i think at just over a bar) so you won't notice it unless your running pretty high boost.
but is it still in circuit if the boost solenoid is unplugged? i.e if you fit an aftermarket boost controller will the FCD still work?

kyepan

sounds like your running unlimited boost, i would be carefull and not boost until you resolve this, for fear of detting your pistons to death.

You can find a print out of the boost hose configuration here on the site somewhere, if not somone may post it, check this against your vacume hose arrangement. If any of the hoses to the actuator come off you can run unlimited boost.

do you know how it is limiting the boost atm, is the controller electronic, or a simple bleed valve/ dawes device?

gtir350

What does your boost gauge show ?

The ECU has no way to monitor boost, So I cant see how the fuel cut at 19PSI is gonna happen ?

Dave

LeeSmith said:
This is news. Where did you get this info? It seems to be common knowledge on here that the Pulsar definitely doesn't have any kind of fuel cut system in place.

You can keep boosting until you exceed the capacity for fuel delivery, but that's not quite the same :wink:

A

AJ4

The ECU has no way of measuring boost, therefore can't cut fuel at certain boost levels ( unless its psychic :D )

For anyone that disagrees, please point out which pin on the ECU is connected to a pressure sensor.... :?:

geetee

With AJ on this one, there is no connection from the Boost Sensor to the ECU... this just goes to the stock Boost gauge.

The ECU does have a connection to the "Wastegate Valve Control Solenoid Valve" . This Solenoid valve just bleeds off boost pressure to the air inlet, diverting it away from the actuator. During normal operation this valve does nowt.

However when the DET sensor is triggered - putting the car in Safe Mode (or indeed if a fault condition puts the car in Limp Home Mode) the Solenoid valve is clamped shut so full boost pressure goes to the actuator - effectively lowering the boost achieved as the wastegate opens sooner.

Sounds to me like ur running unlimited boost.

As asked before - how are you controlling your boost?, you do have an after-market boost gauge don't you (and what peak boost does it show)?

As advised before don't drive on boost until you sort out the overboosting

:roll:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

S

smcnairn

I have removed the standard boost solinoid. The boost controller i have is the Greddy Profec B. I think it is running unlimited boost as i had it up to about 1.4bar and dont want to see if it goes any higher for obvious reasons. Ive replaced all the visible vacuum hoses but still need to trace the ones infront of the bulk head. :?

geetee

stop! this controller is not ready yet :lol:

OK......

1. Is it the same with the Profec switched off?
2. Do you still have the top mount intercooler?

3. Does this make any sense to you?

If the answer to 2 was YES please ensure you have both pipes (marked 5 and 9) attached to the pipe through the intercooler frame.

If the answer to 3 is NO..... run away bravely.
If the answer to 3 is YES.... then tell us where your profec solenoid is plumbed in.

My guess is you haven't got the pipe thru the intercooler connected or you have nothing attached to the actuator.

Not 'really' a fuel cut problem..... more a "ooh I can see daylight thru my pistons question"

Let us know ;)

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Cheers
Geetee 8)

S

smcnairn

Cheers gee tee for the long and detailed reply. :wink:

1. It is the same with the Profec switched off and with the standard solinoid in place.It was overboosting before i fitted this.
2.Still go the top mount. Hoses 5 and 9 are connected.
3. YES the drawing makes! :lol:

I was thinkin it is some thing thats popped of or something is broken as when i was out one minute it was ok the next it was over boosting! :shock: Not the case of something connected up wrong.My first thought was the actuator was goosed thats why that was replaced. il have to go and have a look how the profec is plumbed in. Cant remember of the top of my head.
Cheers again

Fire & skill

Vintage member
the standard boost solenoid shouldnt be needed - the greddy should have its own. how long have you had the car?

S

smcnairn

yes i know the standard solenoid is bypassed when the Greddy one is plumbed in. Had the car about 8 months.

S

smcnairn

Right! Had a look at the boost controller and its plumbed in as per instructions. I then decided to remove my intercooler again to be sure the vacuum pipes were ok and get a proper look.......To find hose 5 crushed between the intercooler and bracket whish it bolts onto which split the hose!!! :evil: :oops: replaced the hose so the boost is back to normal... great feeling! Its now time to set up the boost controller. Thanks for the help guys :wink:

A

AJ4

GartracS2 said:
andy chan had a FCD on his car im sure ?
He might have done, but it could have been wired into the stereo for all the good it would have done :D

The only FCD on a Pulsar is when your tank ( and your wallet ) is empty :D