front suspension lower arms

A

Anonymous

as above any tips on how to remove the bushes?? already got the ball joint out easy 8) .. just the two bushes are proving to bee a tw4t :?

Keira

do you mean the front bush that gets repalced by whiteline anti-lift or the bushes where the lower arm pivots ??

the front bush (anti-lift) will need chooping off, destroy the rubber by what ever means you fancy then cut through the metal sleeve (dremmel) and off it comes, be careful not to cut into lower arm.

The other 2 on the pivot i drilled out until they fell apart, you will then be left with a metal sleeve inside the lower arm, this will need splitting somehow to get out, i dremmel'd it again, cutting down its length in diagonal cuts then banged it out

easy :wink:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Hi Wayne,

I replaced mine with "Blue prints" but fitted the anti-lift whiteline bush to the back.

Ended up taking an angle grinder to it :shock: :D :shock:
I only had 8" discs as well as all my smaller grinders were broken.

A little bit scary but after struggling for ages with various tools it was the only option.

Kieron's more careful use of a dremel sounds more sensible.

youngsyp

jonesgti__r said:
already got the ball joint out easy 8)
Out of interest mate, how did you remove the balljoints ?

If you 'pressed' them out, you could do the same with the front bushes. If not, you could drill them out then use a junior hacksaw to cut part way through the metal sleeve, then whack it carefully with a screw driver and hammer !

As for the rear ones, to be replaced by the anti lift kit, you could use the junior hacksaw on that too !!

jonesgti_r

youngsyp said:
jonesgti__r said:
already got the ball joint out easy 8)

held the lower arm in a vice and used circlip pliers to remove the circlip then opened the vice up and rested the ball joint over the gap in the vice...

large hammer two hits 8) ball joint on the floor :D

O

Odin

jonesgti_r said:
large hammer two hits 8) ball joint on the floor :D

Yup thats the way I did it too :wink: but I did spray them with WD40 the night before :wink: .

rob

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
kieron said:
the front bush (anti-lift) will need chooping off, destroy the rubber by what ever means you fancy then cut through the metal sleeve (dremmel) and off it comes, be careful not to cut into lower arm.
You mean the rear bush? :wink:
There's a small layer of rubber after you cut through the metal sleeve, this will smoke abit with the dremmel and should be your clue to start taking it easy :wink:

campbellju said:
Kieron's more careful use of a dremel sounds more sensible.
It's also a damn site quicker. I got the second one off in about 10mins compared to about an hour trying to suss out how to budge the front one and then finally setting the dremmel on it. :twisted:

jonesgti_r

right then progress so far ... ball joint on ther floor still :roll: .
bush that bolts up on to the floor of the car got them of with a cunning use of hammer and chisel and a good soak of wd40 :wink:
now then the pivoty type bush thing :? .... had a metal drift inside the metal isert and stood there intoducing it to the hammer for a good ten mins :!: didn't move a mm :(

any ideas???

suposed to be going to get shot blasted on monday and then down to the powder coaters to make them look abit 8)

jonesgti_r

got that last bush out :)

quite a time consuming job really. had to drill out the rubber and then push it through so that all i had left was the metal insert :?

then it took about 15mins per side to chissel enough of the insert inwards so that i could get a socket just the right size inside the suspension arm and then hammer like f00k :roll:

already for welding now and then powder coating on monday 8)

any sugestions on colours :?: :?: