Found my fault hopefully

pulsarmike

Has the ecu got numbered pins?

If so what number are both check engine pins

If your going say bell them out dont bother lol :lol:

bensmith907

SO no one bar loop then sounds like standard boost.
Sorry that was my fault I assumed because there's no boost solanoid it was a 1bar loop but have since found out there's just a hose between the plenum and wastegate actuator with nothine else in the middle (no restrictor, boost controller or solanoid)

Bad Gen- sorry

pulsarmike

Sorry that was my fault I assumes
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups

Haha dont worry mate youve helped me a lot, you wouldnt happen to know the size of pipe going to the standard boost gauge would you? just ordering a T piecew off ebay and its cold outside :shock:

pulsarmike

Ok so having a look at that diagram now, it looks like a supply come from the top where the ignition is and pin 24 is an earth with a trigger relay when there is a fault?, the only way the light would iluminate is if pin 24 or the cable leading off to the chk engine light is earthed/shorting to earth somewhere but then it wouldnt flash it would be on constant.

although ive just contradicted myself above lol, the ecu must be fucked

bensmith907

dunno if its fu**ed. pin 24 isnt on the loom for the diagnosis connector.

Right- Pin 14 (on the ECU) is my favorite for a short. this comes out at the top, second from the right (on the diagnosis connector) and as I suspected the top right pin (on the diagnosis connector) is an earth. when you do the fault code check all your doing is shorting pin14 to earth the ecu recognises this then sends the fault code to the check light

If Im not quite making sence mate give us a shout tomorrow and I'll try to explain it better

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Pin 24 is just the earth for the bulb which takes a power supply from the fues. According to the link, it's seperate from the diagnostic loom.

When the ecu needs to illuminate the bulb it will earth it via the ecu- same way the rad fans come on.

Your light is working as you say it's flashing. Your consult software is working as you've shown. Are you connecting the correct 2 pins on the plug when you try the paper clip method?

Pin 23 is the check pin if I'm reading it right. Connect the igniton wire to it with a paperclip.

Sounds like your connector is upside down.

connect chk and ign

pulsarmike

Im gonna have a look at it 2moro, i managed to wire an old xantia 2.0 8v petrol turbo into a diesel 306 so this SHOULD be easy.

had 36 hours in the pug loom lol

But im sure ill give you a shout either way lol. :thumbsup:

pulsarmike

Pin 24 is just the earth for the bulb which takes a power supply from the fues. According to the link, it's seperate from the diagnostic loom.

When the ecu needs to illuminate the bulb it will earth it via the ecu- same way the rad fans come on.

Your light is working as you say it's flashing. Your consult software is working as you've shown. Are you connecting the correct 2 pins on the plug when you try the paper clip method?

Pin 23 is the check pin if I'm reading it right. Connect the igniton wire to it with a paperclip.

Sounds like your connector is upside down.
The ecu light doesnt come on when you turn the ignition on it only comes on above 2k revs.

The other post mentions it being stuck in mode 2? Would being in this mode stop the ecu light coming on with the ignition?

As for the connector being upside down it isnt, i printed that picture off and did it with jonathan next to me and it didnt do a thing

Last edited:

pulsarmike

Hmm just found this too......

Having googled, I found this: "Why use a paperclip? There's a diagnostic switch on the ECU itself. Grab a flat head screwdriver, put the key into the ON position (don't start the car), then rotate the screw on the ECU fully clockwise, count two seconds, then fully counter clockwise. You will then see your MIL on the dash flash with cooresponding codes. if 5 long 5 short, no codes detected.

To exit mode II, simply turn the screw clockwise fully, then counterclockwise again."

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Right- Pin 14 (on the ECU) is my favorite for a short. this comes out at the top, second from the right (on the diagnosis connector) and as I suspected the top right pin (on the diagnosis connector) is an earth.
If your connector isn't upside down then bottom left should be the earth and the one next to it pin 14, not top right as that should be power.

pulsarmike

If your connector isn't upside down then bottom left should be the earth and the one next to it pin 14, not top right as that should be power.
My connector is the same is in the picture you posted

not sure mate I'll have a play tomorrow with my ecu and learn some more
Great stuff, im hoping its just been turned by some wombat :-D