Forged Pistons

Clarky

The piston lands on of my stock pistons is shot, was just wondering what forged pistons ppl would recommend and anything else I should be changing when am doing the pistons. Bear in mind my budget is fairly tight. Do I need to do conrods aswell as pistons?

Cheers

Clarky

marcymarc

I think most people would prefer to use the hks pistons in an ideal world, but with the price you can get cp ,wiseco, and je pistons for from the states then you should be looking down this route matey.

Clarky

What else am I needing to buy? Really have a budget of £500 at most to get her back on the road and wanna get the most for my money lol. Am I better going for just HKS pistons or should I be looking at something like a CP piston and doing the rods, bolts and mainstuds? Sorry for all the daft questions but am very much a newbie to all this forging malark lol.

marcymarc

Clarky said:
What else am I needing to buy? Really have a budget of £500 at most to get her back on the road and wanna get the most for my money lol. Am I better going for just HKS pistons or should I be looking at something like a CP piston and doing the rods, bolts and mainstuds? Sorry for all the daft questions but am very much a newbie to all this forging malark lol.

Are you doing the work your self?? because £500 isnt gonna buy you much, pistons and a head gasket maybe.

forget rods, your rods shoud be fine, but ideally you need arp bolts for them , just for piece of mind.

P

pulsarboby

no disrespect fella, but with a £500 budget to rebuild an engine you really should not be having a car like this (no offence)

that will maybe buy you

set of cp pistons (ericsperformance parts on ebay) £280
rebore £120
standard nissan head gasket £30
set of ACL bigend shells £70
arp conrod bolts £50 total= £550

but then you have oils and all the other sundries which will come to well over a £100.
and thats doing the job yourself and majorly skimping on parts and machining work that may be required.

good luck fella

Clarky

Yeah, cylinder head's already off. Already sourced a steel hg and arp headstuds. Really just trying to sort out a shopping list for the rest. So you reckon just pistons and arp bolts? Theres alotta temptin kits on ebay consistin of wiseco or cp pistons with eagle rods for much cheapness lol.

Clarky

lol none taken, just wasn't plannin on a rebuild just now but it would seem my engine gave me no choice so the budgets pretty tight :(

P

pulsarboby

yeah they will do fine! but they are only 17mm bearings and not 19mm.
you can use them though.

but as marcy said, the standard rods are good for around 500bhp and you dont need the arp head studs either, in fact the oe nissan bolts i believe are better than the arp studs.
they are thicker than the 200sx bolts and can take a lot of abuse before they will move anywhere.
the stud kit just makes it a real pain in the asse job to remove the head, when the need arises (which it will if you use that cometic gasket)

i would also use a standard oe nissan head gasket over a cometic steel one, as you aint gonna be able to afford a head skim and block reface, so theres an excellent chance of the steel gasket being totally useless to you. there not good at the best of times, hks is the best but then you will pay around £150-200 for one.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You all make it sound like HKS are better than CP, WISCO, Mahle etc.. Not the case. It just depends on what type of piston you want really.. Different companies offer different types: Zero-silicon, low-silicon.. Then there are the varying coatings etc..

I wrote about it all here - http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48031

Rishi

marcymarc

HKS make the best piston for a road car, cp etc tend to be more of a race application piston, well thats what Ian at hiteq told me.

John

You'll also need to factor in what sorta engine response your looking for and how long your looking for the piston to last. For the life of me the word escapes me but the longer pistons last longer but have a laggier response but the shorter ones have a better response but have a much shorter life span.

red reading

do some more reading up lad's there is alot more to pistons than you have put above,espesially about skirt lenth john they wont effect engine respose as you are implying in an engine that revs to 7500rpm

J

jpward

marcymarc said:
HKS make the best piston for a road car, cp etc tend to be more of a race application piston, well thats what Ian at hiteq told me.
And is'nt he closed now :lol:

As Rishi says its only the difference in the silicone levels with a little difference in finished goods (tolerance wise) from one company to another, Je's CP's and Weisco's are favoured less than Hks also because they tend to need more clearance for extra expansion (still only talking a few thou) and as a result sound a little bit more tappy on cold start but personally I dont see enough of an advantage to pay near double for something that will do the same job at the end of the day!!

;-)

T

treemonkey

Clarky I had the same prob with mine about six months ago. I'll have it back on the road next week. TBH to put it back together properly you want to budget at least £2500. We found a lot of nasty suprises when we pulled mine apart, like a cracked crank £620 from Nissan cooked oil and worn out bearings £150. I had to get a mirror finish on the head and block to take a steel gaskit £80. Some cretin had put coarse threaded bolts in fine threaded hole at some point in the cars history all takes time and money. link below to build pics
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5127000

snoon

I spent...
£500 Wossner 86.5mm Forgies
£150 Full engine gasket set
£200 for the block for rebore and pistons putting in
£500 Labour debuild/rebuild
£200 on random bits like oils and what not.

a budget of £500 ain't enough!

Clarky

Yeah, I'm slowly seein that its silly to rush it. Was gonna just put it back together as best I could till I could afford to do a proper build but I see that thats not very wise. Gonna wait a month or so and do it properly. Its just so hard seein' it sittin on the driveway everyday & not bein able to drive her :( Guess the closest I'll be comin to drivin a pulsar for the next few months is gran turismo on the old playstation lol