Flare

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No, I think it's perfectly legal to own a flare (even parachute flares). However they are a maritime safety device, and you can be prosecuted for letting them off when it's not an emergency situation.

So, I suppose no harm in sourcing and keeping one in your car... but in the UK they can only be used for maritime or mountain emergencies (so if you're nearer to a mountain than navigable water, you'll get a helicopter... in theory).

Having said that, there doesn't seem to be anything in the highway code that covers it; only maritime, so maybe this is not correct.

a mate of mine has an MOT garage and he said they don't technically fail an MOT, he used to tell people that it did just so he could take it out and keep. he had a bucket full of them once upon a time. Either that or he had a serious boat fetish.
Anyway, anyone got one?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No, they shouldn't fail an MOT. However it's something like a £100 fine for letting on off if it's not an emergency... and up to three months in gaol for doing it at a football match.

Why not just buy an in-date flare from a chandlery? Anything that came with a car went out of date years ago.

Wes

Might be worth checking one of the mx5 sites on fb. Plenty of flares knocking about on there.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Flares cost ~£10 brand new and dated to 2020 (currently). - Obviously it's personal choice, but 20-year old pyrotechnics are not something I'd want in the car with me.

Reactions: Wes

geoff pine

Having been reading this thread how do uk insurance companies view these fire works in uk cars ! as George pointed out they must be well past there sell by date by now .

Not sure about the insurance companies, but I asked a guy I know who is a motorway cop about them and he said "As long as its not a flare gun (which would come under the firearms law) and its a stand alone device then its classed as a firework. The law would require you to show that you have kept it in a safe place. So if it is in its original packaging and in its holder then this would be fine"