fitting EGT

S

Sirnixalot

It would be an easier option. With an EGT you want to put the probe 1-2" from the exhaust port on the leanest running cylinder. The leanest cylinder is usually the last one fed by the fuel rail. But from much searching on the SR20forum about where i should put mine, they say cylinders 1 & 3 are usually the leanest. I went with Cylinder #1 (i think LOL). the one closest to the cams.

And Allen yeah you want to take the manifold off or you can remove the turbo and run the car so the exhaust gasses are blowing the shavings out the manifold.

Removing the manifold is prefferable

skiddusmarkus

I've just got the Greddy one and it didn't come with instructions.There's a stainless threaded part that must have to be tapped to the mnifold.There's an olive inside which I presume compresses onto the probe as you tighten up the stainless part.Is that correct as I can't see any other way of making it air/gas tight?
There are also 4 wires that connect to the guage.I'm assuming they are permanent live(not sure why it would need one),ignition,earth and lights.Is that correct?

GINGA

Same here lol will be fitting my greddy gauge soon and was thinking about fitting it in the hump section where the manifold all sorta joins but think I'll fit mine in No1 primary as it has been No1 cylinder that has died on my car both times it blown up lol :lol:

S

Sirnixalot

skiddusmarkus said:
I'm assuming they are permanent live(not sure why it would need one),ignition,earth and lights.Is that correct?

The O2 sensor uses the permanent wire to power the heating element in the sensor i think

GINGA

I've got the english instructions for the afr gauge so I presume the wiring should be the same, then it should be
red= constant live
orange= switched live
white= lights
black= earth
yellow=warning option ground signal(to power led's etc)

A

AJ4

The best place is before the turbo but some people worry about it failing and being ingested ( expensive ! :D ) so fit it in the dump pipe instead. I have fitted mine where the temp sensor was in the cat for tuning puposes, as you are looking for a drop in temperature just before the onset of det, and its all relative. Will be fitting it in the manifold before the turbo the next time the manifold is off though.

Mr GTiR

Ross said:
The best place is before the turbo but some people worry about it failing and being ingested ( expensive ! :D ) so fit it in the dump pipe instead
this is wher i was thinking of fitting mine. Does it make that much difference if it's in front of the turbo i.e. in the manifold?

Also, how much did you guys pay for your GReedy EGT and where from?

A

AJ4

Before the turbo is the best place, as the turbo sucks quite a bit of heat away and wont give an accurate indication after it. Depends what you want to use it for, for reading absolute temps to see if you are getting close to melting a piston = before turbo. For tuning purposes looking for EGT drops by a hundred degrees when detting = anywhere after the turbo is safer and doesn't really matter what the actual temp is, just the change in temp.

M

Muppet

Has anybody got any pics of what the sensors look like and dimensions of the sensor and boss. Do they come with a boss and if not what do you use.

thanks muppet.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I've just bought a set of used Omori gauges from Japan one of which is an electrical EGT gauge. The problem is I have no wiring diagram. for the EGT gauge.

Yes, I can drill a hole and tap a thread in runner No 4 on the exhaust manifold to fit the probe but were do the wires from the probe and the back of the gauge actually go. See the photo below

All I know is the white and the black from the gauge make the light work. So if the white from the gauge is lights and the black ground where does the white from the probe connect to???????

Could anybody shed any light on this

Steve