Fitting Cut Off Switch

watoga

Oh, and thanks for the link to the inertia switch. I've never seen these before, but I might be tempted to fit one................... ;)

Thanks,
Dave

Trip

trip, with your resistor to ground, did you just solder the resistor onto the switch and then to a wire onto a ground source?
also, what size wire/cable did you use to bridge the wire onto the main electrical feed?

cheers,
ollie

Since i have two master switches i am sharing the same resistor for both. I did not solder it direct to the switch either.

I used a 2.5mm^2 gauge wire to bridge.

olliecast

Since i have two master switches i am sharing the same resistor for both. I did not solder it direct to the switch either.

I used a 2.5mm^2 gauge wire to bridge.
cheers mate, so if i use the 2.5mm square wire for both the bridge and the resistor i should be good?

thanks again,
ollie

Trip

Hi Trip,

My main worry was the master fuel pump running dry for the initial couple of seconds while the fuel tank feeds the slave pump, which starts to fill the swirl pot, which then feeds the master pump. I was going to just have a single switch, but time-after-time I have been told not to run the master pump dry for any length of time. Is this nonsense? Do you think the pump will survive since it's only for a few seconds at most?

Cheers for the input,
Dave
The pump connected between the swirl pot and fuel rail should be connected to the lowest possible feed on the swirl pot. The return from fuel rail, overflow and feed from fuel tank should be all higher up. So in theory, the swirl pot should always have enough fuel inside not to run pump dry.

Running any pump dry for long periods will destroy it.

Trip

cheers mate, so if i use the 2.5mm square wire for both the bridge and the resistor i should be good?

thanks again,
ollie
Yes.. after all the resistor wire is thinner.. Try to keep the length of wire short otherwise use a larger gauge wire.

ZED_not_zee

That looks really complicated? I just ran the 12V feed from the alternator to the battery and interrupted the feed from the battery to the original main positive lead with a cut off ...

Battery located in the rear of course and the cut off is in the rear bumper... so track officials can shut the car off if im in a wreck,