Fitting Air/Fuel ratio gauge

M

Mart

Just got one. Whats all the stuff about wide and narrow bands. What does the R have, which do i need to run my autometer 2675.

Any help would be great :lol:

cheers

E

Edd

Not sure on exactly what the R has (i think narrowband) but if you fit the AFR off the std lambda sensor then the reading you get on the guage will pretty much have nothing to do with what the fuelling is doing. The guage will flick from rich to lean on part throttle and on any kind of throttle it will just stay on the richest setting. However when the car is cold in the morning it does show a few signs of possibly being accurate, you ideally need a wideband sensor approx 150 quid for one though :cry:

P

purplemonster

i will have to disagree here ?

a narrow band that a R has will never be as accurate as a wide band ,but i have had one of these gauges on my last 4 cars.and they work very well,what it dose tell you on an R is how crap the nissan fueling is ?

i tuned my last car using one of these gauges and the car drove perfect to about 18psi but i must admit it was never rolling roaded ,just tuned on the road

using one of these is another saftey feature against melted pistons etc ,its not 100%, but for the money they are well worth it ,

just my 2p worth

ROBERT

O

Olly

The AFR guage is a guage but does give a fair indication of mixture in the exhaust downpipe elbow. red wire = Ignition Position 2 feed, Black + earth, Purple from memory goes to pin 17 (piggyback do not cut :lol: )

Wide band lambda cost £150 and lasts 50 hours approx its is more accurate between 0.7 and 1.5 volts

Standard R sensor is fine i believe for monitoring but not speceifc enough for tuning.

The last green light on the guage = 1.0 volt

1.0 volt = 7 % co approx = 11.89 Air fuel ratio which is nice and rich on full throttle.

On part throttle once the engine is running and warmed up the sensor will flick between rich and lean indicating a AFR of 14.7 i believe.

The lamba sensor makes its own voltage through its special crystals which is directly relative to the oxygen content in the exhaust :lol:

A

Anders

If you are after a proper wideband setup at a reasonable price then try the link below. You'll find its the best available (relative to the cost) on the net at this time.

This is a link to an installation on an RX7 but it provides links to the Techedge supplier etc. The Honda wideband sensor used is rated for 50K use :wink:

http://www.negative-camber.org/crispyrx7/wideband.htm

Andy

M

Mart

Olly,

Are you sure u connect it to the 17th pin? Cuz looking at the ecu digram 17 connect to the air flow meter. 19 connects to the exhaust sensor.

Typo?? :oops:

M

Mart

Right, i have connected it up to pin 19.

Went for a run, full lean off throttle,
Flicked between lean and rich on half throttle crusieing down motoway
BUT touch the throttle just a touch and full deflection to rich

Basiclly either full lean, flicking its nuts off or full rich?
CAN'T be right??
can it?

any help would be great
Mart

O

Olly

Olly said:
Purple from memory goes to pin 17 (piggyback do not cut :lol: )

:lol:
Yeap your right Pin 19 couldn't remember hence :lol:

Your AFR guage is working just like mine by the sounds off things. Sounds about right to me. Goes rich as soon as you start to push the gas when moving. But does it stay rich :lol: ( i expect it does) if it starts to drop away from rich under long full throttle sessions you may be going lean (mates cossie did) but it still a guage but useful none the less