Fitted FMIC, now less lag and smoother power!?

olliecast

Afternoon everybody!
fitted my fmic on saturday (just a 210 quid one off ebay).
thought i wouldn`t really see much improvement over the tmic but its transformed the car!
for some reason it spools alot quicker, more torquey at lower revs and is alot smoother when revving out!

i`m over the moon with the better driving experience its given me, just wondering if anybody else has experienced such results before with tmic to fmic conversion (as i thought they usually cause more lag!)

cheers
ollie :thumbsup:

A

alana

Most would often find fitting a fmic over a tmic will create more lag but saying that your top mount would be at least 15 years old and could well have developed the odd leak or two!!

olliecast

tis a good point mate, the turbo spooling also sounds louder now, must because of the longer, thinner piping used on the aftermarket kit.

CARLGTIR

That is surprising, mine is a lag monster but that could be due to the turbo aswell, am looking into shortening the pipe length down

gtir_pimp

my mate on here has a front mount from ebay on his R and it doesnt feel laggy at all,actually feels less laggyer than mine with the top mount.
carlgtir what fmic do you have?

P

pulsarboby

vacuum pipe is for running between actuator and throttle bodies as you would of had to link where the tmic metal pipe would have been, unless of course you had already bypassed it in which case you wouldnt need it!

olliecast

pulsarboby said:
vacuum pipe is for running between actuator and throttle bodies as you would of had to link where the tmic metal pipe would have been, unless of course you had already bypassed it in which case you wouldnt need it!
ah that`ll be it then mate.
have you got a link to a twin pump washer bag you`ve got on yours? can`t find a bogger anywhere!

now i need some better bloody brakes, i`m sure the standard ones are dangerous after one hard brake!

CARLGTIR

gtir_pimp - I bought my cooler direct from Autobahn 88 in Japan, since buying it they have been loads on Ebay.. :roll: The pipe run goes around the battery, would like to have it cut near the bend towards the plenum and have a pipe going straighter towards the core

P

pulsarboby

olliecast said:
ah that`ll be it then mate.
have you got a link to a twin pump washer bag you`ve got on yours? can`t find a bogger anywhere!

now i need some better bloody brakes, i`m sure the standard ones are dangerous after one hard brake!

no sorry ollie, i ended up flogging my one to bart gtir when i was building my engine, now ive not got one either:doh: you can buy the single pump ones though, thats what il end up getting, not worried about the rear wash wipe.

noriek2003

mini washer bottle (as in the old shape mini) nice and small, only has one pump though, should be able to find one on ebay for feck all

houghy_1

pulsarboby said:
no sorry ollie, i ended up flogging my one to bart gtir when i was building my engine, now ive not got one either:doh: you can buy the single pump ones though, thats what il end up getting, not worried about the rear wash wipe.

Are you on about relocating the window washer bottle???

Just move the oe item to the boot its dead easy a couple of hours work

Clickable thumbnail...

olliecast

yeah, was looking at relocating to the boot but occationally put a pushchair in the back of the car so i`ll only end up taking the bogger off.
if i can`t get a smaller bottle then i`ll just end up throwing it in the boot i think.

got to say i thought the pipe from the turbo would let alot more heat transfer to the front mount, however after a good thrash the pipe coming off the ehaust side of the turbo is touchable where it goes into the front mount.
can see why the charge temps get lowered so much now!
best mod to date (i`d say more so than my boost controller in terms of drivability)

Now, where are those four pots and a genies lamp to magic up a mines ecu! can`t find one anywhere!!!