Fast in 1st and 2nd, flat in the rest!

weakboy2

Hey there, picked up my pulsar on wedsday and the car is very fast as it should be in first and second, floor it in any othergear and when it gets up to full boost it goes really flat and a bit jerky, i wouldnt say its a missfire as such.

Any ideas boys and girls?

Cheers

Lewis :thumbsup:

youngsyp

Fuel system or ignition system possibly. It only appears to be happening, when the engine is under proper load ?!

Either way, as the car is new (to you), you should change all the consumables (plugs, rotor arm, distributor car and fuel filter) and the engine oil and filter. And clean up the leads. That will give you confidence in the cars condition, engine wise.

If you get a chance, it might be an idea to change the gearbox, transfer box and rear diff oil too. Again, for peace of mind !

antgtir

Make sure the car isn't overboosting and exceeding the abilities of your fuel pump.
Check the fuel pump to make sure its working ok.
As already said, consumables is the first thing to change, plugs, leads, cap rotor, all oils changed so you know its defo done and fuel filter.
Check MAF earthing to.
Carry out an ECU check.
Possibly DET sensor, it may be retading the timing.

Ant.

weakboy2

ok thanks peeps, i'll give it a try and get back to you :)

BTW the transfer box and clutch has been done! just not the gearbox :(

weakboy2

checked it out today... was boosting uncontrollably so i've been lucky for it not to melt a piston!

checked all the pipework and it seems i have a knackered actuator or a siezed wastegate arm :( gonna strip and check it next weekend (fingers crossed its the actuator!)

antgtir

I must admit i had a similar problem with my R and this was one thing someone suggested to me but they also said that it was pretty rare for one of these to stick so i re sealed the main intercooler pipes and hey presto sorted, it was just a leak on the vaccum side of things, i was lucky:lol:

Hope you sort it soon then mate.

Ant.

weakboy2

done this, replaced the actuator. now holding 1 bar in all gears which is good.

Problem is its still flat feeling in 3rd gear upwards. is this a symptom of the maf??

Cheers