FAO Willwood owners, re squealing and grinding

A

AJ4

I'm still having major problems with squeal and metallic grinding noises, does anyone else suffer this ? Im using Willwood Polymatrix pads on Wilwood 280mm discs.

At first I thought it was just because they were new but they're well bedded in now and still squealing away. When cold they are fine, as soon as they warm up there is a high pitched squeal which then descends into the low metallic grinding noise.

I've built and rebuilt the whole setup, copperslip on the back of the pads and runners etc. and can't think what else to try.

Just wondered if anyone else is having the same problems or managed to cure the problem. Maybe its just the pads that are rubbish and need changing to another brand, dunno.

Cheers

Ross.

prkwan

yup ross, i had the same problem back then, but the only cure i could find was either bear with it or change to a better brake kit.Now i got Hi Spec 6 pot and they are much better than wilwood. :?

ashills

ive got teh wilwood 4 pots and had sparks coming from the pads there so damn hard lol

i phoned rally design about the problem and there is an answer on the way
they have got ebc to make a set of green stuff pads to go in the calipers they have modified an existing greenstuff to go in there and it was as quiet as a mouse so it wont be long till they get 100 sets of greenstuff in

they'll be 40-45 quid a set by the sound of things

just keep the existing pads for teh track etc

O

Odin

You should of got AP's you tight g*t I never have these sort of problems
with my set up 8) :wink: :lol: .

rob

J

J-GTi-R

The first set of pads were fine, no noise or grumbling at all. However the pads were so hard they buggered my disks up (the solid vented disks). I replaced both the pads (polyQ again) and the disks (cross-drilled and grroved) and now they grumble after a couple of firm brakes. I have noticed that if you push harder the grumbling stops and the performance isn't affected at all, but it does sound a bit worrying.

The only thing that concerns me with the greenstuff replacement pads is they are absolutely shite in the Hispec kit.

A

AJ4

I can't fault the performance at all, haven't experienced any fade whatsoever, even after dozens of good stamps. The noise never goes away though, always a high pitched whine descending into a metal on metal grinding.

I'll try these new rally designs ones when they come out.

BTW Rob, they weren't exactly the cheap option, £650 from SRB. I did question the price and couldn't find them cheaper anywhere else... ( they are only 280mm solid discs as well :shock: )

coxie

i also suffer from these symptoms as highlighted in an earlier post and was told by rally design that some green stuff pads would be available in two to three weeks which is up on next monday so i am going to ring and find out if they are ready.

ps as far as i was told all people who bought them and suffer from this problem will get the ebc's free of charge..i hope so

J

J-GTi-R

Well they should be, the pads are far too hard and have already ruined one set of disks for me. If the kit isn't fit for purpose, then we should get free EBC pads.

coxie

from when i rang them he said the ebc,s would be free because when he said that i said its like admitting the brake kit is not fit for what it was made to do and he agreed ..either way i dont care as its only about 440 so not the end of the world. :p

S

Sunny Nutter

when you guys get the new pads...post up your opinions,
I am going to get the kit directly from Rally Designs pretty soon!

j10gtr

I have got ebs greenstuff pads fitted to me willwood calipers think mine are a dynolite caliper these where only about £25.00.

There is a reason they are so cheap they are crap, will definately not be using them on a pulsar again.

Thanks
Paul

GTIR-LOZ

i have had probs with my kit as well, i rang ralley design about it, my brakes fades like crap when comming down from high speed, i was told that its prb my driving style!!!! which is bollox as i only drive to and from work and havnt done track days etc in her, so i am sending the discs and pads back to them but they have sent out some more poly q pads if they know there is a problem with them then why have they sent me out the same pads???? maybe because they are about 20 more expensive??

A

Anonymous

J-GTi-R said:
(the solid vented disks).
You been drinking again mate? :wink:

Mine are fine (no noise or fade). I'd be interested in hearing what happens about these Greenstuff pads. I had EBC's with Greenstuff pads and they were PANTS!

Cheers,
Dunc

J

J-GTi-R

Duncan said:
J-GTi-R said:
(the solid vented disks).
You been drinking again mate? :wink:
Lol, at the moment I wish I was :lol:

I mean solid as in not cross-drilled or grooved, but they are still vented (i.e. if you look down the length of the disk you can see the venting). The ones I replaced them with are vented, grooved and cross-drilled. Now someone pass me another can of Kronenbourg will you... :lol:

S

Sunny Nutter

any word on the new pads yet?
would any of the pagid pads fit?

O

Olly

I have had Wilwood dynalite calipers for 4 years (race spec no dirt seals :lol: ) Those Polymatrix pads are for Trackdays or race use they wear out in about a thousand miles but they are good but noisey, loadsa dust and sparks) looks pretty at night :lol: But seriously i found green stuff poor simply cos the way i drive i only use the brakes when i have to and can't keep up temperature in them.

Recently I bought Hawk street spec pads from Rally deign and they are fine, better than green stuff.

But i think you boys have the latest caliper. 8)

J

J-GTi-R

Those Polymatrix pads are for Trackdays or race use they wear out in about a thousand miles
Er not the pads we got... I did a year of HARD braking (including 1 track day/session) and my pads were less that half worn. They are far, far too hard and just don't want to wear at all...