Extending the gear lever.

Trip

I had to elongate my gear shifter to make it reachable for my driving position. Now i am facing another problem. The lateral movement whilst in gear has increased significantly. The throw between each gear has increased too but i think i can live with that.

The base of my shifter is already a short shifter (B&M). Also, the little spring there is underneath the lever is not probably coping with the extra leverage i have created.

Did anyone ever try this mod ?

I was thinking to fabricate a 50mm spacer between the base of the gear lever and the gear linkage, elongate the lower part of the pivot by 50mm and shorting the top part by 50mm. Basically getting the ratios top to bottom right again.

Any thoughts ?

williams

could you not have just left it at the standard height but made the lever come further back, towards you. instead of up and back?

P

pulsarboby

you need to be carefull doing this ev.
you will find that during spirited driving that your putting a lot more force on the gearshift (unintentionally due to extra leverage) this could cause you a lot of problems and possibly a broken box

Trip

thanks for your input Bob, I thought about that too. Spirited driving is what i'll use my car for. If I reduce the leverage back to standard ratio i shouldn't put too much strain on the box.

After searching for different types of quick shift kits on the web, I think i have a plan how to fabricate it correctly. But it will require some cnc cutting and a new shifter bottom end. :)

P

pulsarboby

yes that should work i reckon, its one of those things where as the saying goes 'you have to suck it and see'

'nothing ventured nothing gained'

'a rolling stone gathers no moss'

'a man born to hang will never drown'

ive lost the plot:lol::lol: