Engine Rebuild...

vss irvine

theres no point putting forged or uprated gear in the engine.

it been proven that a well built standard engine can take alot more power than expected.

i rebuilt an engine 2 years ago, using nothing but standard nissan parts.

it made 340hp at 1.2 bar, and its still going strong!

all this 'forged is best' is only relevant if you plan to up the boost and the fuelling.

forged pistons are around £400-£500 in the uk, waste of money in my opinion for your spec paul.

shroom

very true can get a bit caught up with "forged" and the branding but at the end of the day nissan parts are more than up to the job in most cases and as you said without the cost of the pistons etc etc can get lots of more worth while goodies

P

pulsarboby

i agree with the 3 comments above!
also you dont know as it may have had a build in the past at some stage, so as said....if it aint broke leave well alone......he who tinkers have mammoth probs lol

nimhbk

also you dont know as it may have had a build in the past at some stage, so as said....if it aint broke leave well alone......he who tinkers have mammoth probs lol
too right Bob:-D

i wish i never took that cam cover off lol:doh:

warringtonjack

Just out of interest, whats the cost of a standard set of pistons compared to forged ones? And from a purely financial point of view, if you did come to sell the car in the future, you'll get more cash for your forged engine. ;)

snoon

wouldn't a change in piston size mean he would need a remap due to different compression?

As shroom said - If I were you I'd be buying a knackered engine to build up whilst using yours. If yours does (or rather when) break then you have all the parts ready.

To check the car you have just bought I'd just compression check and fault code check it.

Paul

Sounds like a plan... I'll update tomorrow when it arrives and go from there!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
As already said, if it isn't broken leave it alone as somehting else will come along shortly that needs fixing on a near 20 year old car.

If you want to change something you may as well change everything, pumps, gaskets, seals, hoses, starter motors etc. These are the things that will start to fail and keep your car off the road one maintnenace issue at a time. Shrooms idea is best, pick up a cheap engine and then keep picking up bits

On the forged vs standard for pistons and rods. If your standard rods are fine then keep them. Pistons wise I would side with the forged side of the argument. Someone can come along and tell us but I expect new pistons and rings will from Nissan are a similar price to uprated items. My HKS pistons were around £500 but they are OEM quality. However, the less said about my PAR rods the better. They are corrected now but an example of the problems with any aftermarket kit. Head, wise, keep it standard and get it checked over.

Just my opinon but I wouldn't argue with any of the other opinions here either.

Last edited:

darkyGTI-R

Sounds like some good advice mate,but at the end of the day once you get the boost bug that's it you want more and more and more I certainly do and i'm running 1.1bar so not standard,with a full custom stainless exhaust from turbo back and decatted:)

lilmark

If you want Paul i will call in on me way home from work an i will try an get the scanner from work and plug it in to see if there is any faults

Paul

If you want Paul i will call in on me way home from work an i will try an get the scanner from work and plug it in to see if there is any faults
Yes mate sounds good if you don't mind like, itll be here from 11am tomorrow so just give me a bell before you turn up.

Paul

Sounds like some good advice mate,but at the end of the day once you get the boost bug that's it you want more and more and more I certainly do and i'm running 1.1bar so not standard,with a full custom stainless exhaust from turbo back and decatted:)
Hopefully this won't happen to me.. we'll have to see.
I'll just have to make sure i don't get into someone elses car thats more powerful than mine at the rolling road day.. otherwise you may be right!

Paul

Donor pulsar arrived today, all four cylinders running 130ish psi... good or bad? I'm just happy that theyre all the same!