Engine maybe Goosed?

S

SteveM

I am looking for a bit help as my Pulsar was misfiring for a couple of hours. I went straight home and the next day i took it to the garage and i have been advised that a spark plug has blown down into a piston, AAAAHHH I may have to get a full engine rebuild and for this i have been quoted a rough idea of around £1800! does this seem a decent price and has anybdy ever experienced this happening to their Pulsar?
:cry:

Moved to regular servicing

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Jun 19, 2002
N Yorks
community.webshots.com
That's quite cheap but it depends what they're doing to it.
Do you know what plugs they were? Quite often plugs can loose a tip, normally if they've ben detting.

Did they boroscope the engine? or even do a compression test? These cars can misfire for alot of reasons :?

S

SteveM

I just had a 5 minute chat with garage and i never asked these questions but i will ask them tomorrow morning. I dont know the type of spark plugs as i have just got the car 4 months ago but it sounds like the plug has been blown into the piston and scored the engine. they asked me if i had been using petrol addititives but i havent however i had used alot of that BP crap and i will never use it again as i will stick to Shell Optimax when or if i get the Pulsar back. :shock:

mattygti-r

Nov 9, 2003
tokyo japan
ever had this car on a rr to make sure the fueling was ok

that bp stuff when ive used it on mine just maeks the car pop and bang

optimax it runs so much better

S

SteveM

My Engine maybe Goosed?

No never had it on a RR but i should have. I am going through to the garage today to check it out, i appreciate the helpful comments so far. I will definately be looking to have it rebuild with more beastly power (bang goes the holiday money and the overdraft! )

K

KRS

If your increasing the octane rating it may have prevented them from melting :(

J

jiw

i have read before that if you use too much octane booster or a crappy one this can have an adverse effect and lower the octane rating of the fuel :evil:

S

SteveM

Great News! Blown spark plug did not damage the piston just the valve. so i have had new rings put in and new valves. Getting an HKS head gasket fitted. I have a chance of buying a 350BHP turbo for around £450 and i am tempted! Steve :D