electrical problems.

ntgt

lately ive been having some problems with my gtir. a couple weeks ago, the temp gauge just stopped working, then the next drive i took her for the speedo and tacho stopped working, and she was running really rough. today. i just went to start her, and when i turn the key all i get is a really fast clicking noise:evil:... anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

ntgt

this may be the cause of the clicking. but its been a couple weeks since the temp gauge stopped working and the battery seemed to be fine when it stopped working. i will try recharge the battery and see if the temp guage starts to work

Gtirchris

Sounds like poor connections mate, it could be that the connection on the temp sensor itself is loose, although being as your speedo and tacho have stopped working i would be having a looky see behind the instrument cluster for loose connections and dodgy wiring as that seems the most likely cause.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Check that the alternator is functioning; it could be that it's not giving the right voltage so the gauges have stopped, but the engine kept running off the charge in the battery.

It could be that there's an electrical short that has drained the battery, but I'd check the alternator first seeing as you don't have to take the dashboard apart for that.

Slunch

I'd go with alternator, charge your battery overnight and see if that cures the starting and main gauge issues and see if you've lost the alternator belt. You may have a stuffed coolant sensor as well. When the cars running stick a voltmeter across the battery terminals. Mine reads between 13 and 14 volts.

red reading

Good info from a lunch there,I will also add make sure the main earth from the engine to body is good and clean not corroded too.