ecutalk + rs232 no speed or mileage?

danr

strange, plugged my ipaq into the consult, and get no speed or mileage from the ecu?
everything else is fine.

i read the speedo/miles goes to dash first then ecu?
so if someone has fitted a delimiter chip, do you reckon they have just not bothered to reconnect to ecu, is this possible?

i got a consult reader plugged into obd, then a null modem adaptor to rs232 cable to ipaq.

will add ive got a plms daughterboard installed, but dont think this would change anything?

:?

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Isn't the milage an analogue measurement; in which case you can't read it with a digital query... you have to physically read it?

Or am I missing what you're trying to say?

It's possible that someone cut the wire from the speedometer to the ECU to stop it cutting the revs, but I'm pretty sure that introduces other problems (essentially the ECU can't tell the engine is under load)... ditto the PLMS might have had the speed reading removed to achieve the same effect... but I wouldn't have thought so.

danr

hmmm, i remember ed removing speed limits on plms,
revs are fine, and have a map that limits revs to 3500, and rpm reads fine through ecutalk
sure the speed comes from pulses from the speedo sensor on driveshaft?

it should read speed and mileage though for the trip computer on ecutalk.. guess im taking dash out tomorrow then ..

danr

speedo chip is working, as that is between signal and dash, then dash goes to ecu.
guess i need to check continuity between dash and ecu in pin.. fun!
32 pin is vehicle speed sensor which i assume comes from the dash, yellow/green

danr

thanks nex, and mileage is calculated from speed.
so either wire is bust which doubt, or plms is interrupting and sending 0
speed limits are based on maf & speed?