ECOTEK cb-26p

hmmm

Just read about one of these things...what I want to know is that does it really work on a gti-r? It is supposed to save on fuel whilst improving bhp...seems too good to be true.

heres the link

http://cars.potn.com/ecotek.php

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated

Thanks

Timur 008

ok... i had one of these on my previous car (Mitsubishi Colt Turbo) & my m8 has one on his Starlet Turbo & they do work.

You get more miles to the gallon (my m8's still has his on his car for 3 years now & say's yep more miles!!!) & (strangely the gears seem tighter - don't ask me really but it did have this effect on my car) & they do sound kinda cool when slowing down - like another bov etc...

i still have mine in the home somewhere & not sure about putting it on my caR as i have a nice set up already & don't want to spoil it.

if you do put this on a R though please let me know if you feel a difference - drive & wallet wise? i would be interesed..

cheers

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I have to say if these and all those other miraculous gadgets are so good, why do the manufacturers never fit them in the first place? :wink:

S

Stoned

Maybe cos it lets unfiltered air into your engine?

(You can buy a filter for them to mask the weird noise however)

G

GTiRich

I used to have one of them on my almera with the optional pipercross filter. The only difference it made was a gay farting duck noise. Didnt improve power or fuel consumption. Save ya money and treat yourself to an extra tank of optimax

F

Fizzy

I did hear they can help lower your CO emissions, which can be helpful come MOT time :)

Nad

Fizzy said:
I did hear they can help lower your CO emissions, which can be helpful come MOT time :)
I think thats about all they did prove they were good for!

Nad

A

ABO GTI-R

I also have to say how poor those ecotec valves are.
I ran one on my previous car (saxo vts) for approx a year.
During that time my car never seemed to gain any noticeable horsepower,or fuel gains.
Then after a year of running problems,and changing nearly everything else,from map sensor to coil pack,it ended up being the ecotek that was causing the problem.

A

Anonymous

Waste of money,
You might aswell just drill a hole in the throttle bodies :lol:

G

GazTi-R

Worked on my last 2 cars. Found it again at the bottom of my toolbox and fitted it to the R last night. Will try it for a couple of weeks and post results here. Averaging 360-380km per tank at the mo :cry: It has been independantly tested by some government testing place, and they explain why manufacturers don't fit them as OE. http://www.ecotekplc.co.uk/

Timur 008

Thats the spirit!
We need a member to test it on a R to see if it really works on these cars.. b4 we start the horrid chat about them.
:oops:
Like i said it worked on 1 of my cars & a mate of mine swears to it as a good gadget!! (he get more miles to the gallon - when set up correctly though). :wink:

we'll see what happens anyway :roll:

A

andy n

i may be talking b**locks here but on anything with a turbo surely if you allow air in after the turbo it will just leak out through the same hole as its at a higher pressure in the throttle body than the atmosphere. until you lift off and there becomes a negative pressure. same as having a leaky hose or a hole in your ic.

G

GazTi-R

The device only opens and works under vacuum, and so will only work when the turbo is off boost. Timur is right though, they are a git to set up right.

Timur 008

GazTi-R said:
The device only opens and works under vacuum, and so will only work when the turbo is off boost. Timur is right though, they are a git to set up right.
lol v true, when fitting my the 1st time i adjusted it wrong & was doing a farting noise:lol:, where my m8's one was doing a nice hissing noise. 8)

D

duey

got 1 of these on my r,it was already fitted when i bought it,didnt know what the hell it was till a few weeks back! :oops:
i must say ive never put it to the test but i will see next week if it makes any diff to the mpg :roll: