dyno run disappointmenmt

bensmith907

Have a look at this- Just at a dyno getting the R checked out this is the graph produced-

The guy running it says the power just drops off then comes back
Running a mines ecu,
Forged pistons,
Cosworth head gasket
Greddy profec b 2 boost ctrl
Set at 40% (1.15bar)
Gain 30
Set gain 40
Standard turbo with forge actuator
Can't think of anything else that's relavent!
What do you think is going on?
Thanks,

Ben

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

have you got the afr part of chart?
it seems to me as though its an actuator problem, it maybe weak and be opening and closing, or a boost leak somewhere
temporarily pull the actuator pipe off and give it a run if your still there

bensmith907

No afr reading on the dyno so will have to check that out another time. Will try the actuator disconnect thing

bensmith907

Disconected the profec b and ran it through the standard solinoid and got this graph

So it looks like its not helping. Boost reached 0.93bar though (maybe because of the uprated actuator)

rich1216

Like Bob said it looks like the actuators not holding pull the pipe off the actuator and see what is does.

red reading

The drag output on that dyno has varied too from 90 to 82hp.......

Did you preload the actuator when you fitted it to the turbo, the power figure is about right for a car with a standard turbo at under 1bar.

bensmith907

Actuator was fitted by owen developments.

Wen we took off the actuator hose the boost shot straight up to 1.4bar @2500revs so we stopped

red reading

Where have you taken the boost signal from, and on the profec b have you got the solenoid the right way round. If you plumb a boost solenoid in wrong they don't work.

bensmith907

Where have you taken the boost signal from, and on the profec b have you got the solenoid the right way round. If you plumb a boost solenoid in wrong they don't work.
The signal for the profec b is from the fpr its T'd off with the standard boost gauge sensor (is this also a map sensor?)

I will check the orentation of the actuator again to be sure

red reading

"Com" on the boost solenoid should go to the actuator. And yes it is a map sensor but it is for the gauge in the car and is not connected to the ecu.

P

pulsarboby

the controller must be working correctly as with it dis-connected it made 267 at stock boost yet 281 at .95

i still say either actuator fault
boost leak or a possible intermittent missfire on boost which could be why the graph is stepping off
would really need to see the afrs, that would be a big help

MarkTurbo

Have you got a wideband in the car? Don't think i'd be sticking my car on a dyno without monitoring the afr's :shock:

As Bob said they could possibly give you a big clue as to whats going on too.

red reading

You would hear a misfire that created that bloody great hole in the power curve, missfire normally occurs at peak cylinder pressure too which is usually at peak torque or about 3000rpm on this engine..... Looks more like a fuelling issue or boost issue.....mines ecu are not good anyway if you ever see the map on them it looks like a kid has taken some fuel out and added a bit of ign in his bedroom......speaking of which you could be getting lean fuelling as that is what a mines does.

red reading

Fuel pump could be a suspect too and /or the voltage to it, but you really need AFR reading to tell more

Last edited: