Do I need electronic boost control?

Perrin21

Is electronic boos control really necessary? Surely a fixed 1.2 bar actuator would do the same job as an electronic solenoid. Why would I want different boost in different gears? Wouldn't that spoil the map?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There are some advantages to an EBC: You can vary the boost from inside the car (so high boost for fun and low boost for having it serviced as an example); generally they warn you about issues like boost spikes; they can build boost better than a bleed valve by holding the wastegate shut until it really needs to open.

You don't need one though. If you're happy just using an actuator, then that should suit you fine.

gtirjoey

I wouldn't waste money on one at your stage, from experaince most are crap anyway

Also the boost controllers you will be looking at won't give differant boost setting for differant gears. Jus high/ low settings u can select as u said waste of time, I run max boost all the time and generally use the acclerater like most people to control speed;-)

Last edited:

skiddusmarkus

A 1.2 bar actuator will cost you £100 plus fitting it.I've bought one(Forge) and its because the standard 0.65bar on struggles 1.2bar with a controller and I want to run around 1.5bar or so.Start with a bleed valve or even better dawes type device(I have one for sale) as these cost bog all and can be fitted in minutes.If you aren't happy with the results, then just sell it on for what you paid for it.

Perrin21

I already have a 1 bar forge actuator fitted, im not convinced im getting 1 bar though. My external boost guage shows 0.7. Was on the car when i got it but car was garaged for years. Do they wear out?

gtirjoey

I already have a 1 bar forge actuator fitted, im not convinced im getting 1 bar though. My external boost guage shows 0.7. Was on the car when i got it but car was garaged for years. Do they wear out?
yes the spring can go weak in the actuater, have you got a aftermarket boost gauge fitted? i wouldnt pay any attention to the standard gauge.

Last edited:

Perrin21

yes the spring can go weak in the actuater, have you got a aftermarket boost gauge fitted? i wouldnt pay any attention to the standard gauge.
Yes the guage is aftermarket. How easy is it to change the spring? Could i do this myself? Im no mechanic haha

gtirjoey

just buy the bleed valve/dawes device skiddus offerered you, its the easiest way to get the one bar boost your aiming for, the 1 bar spring is a bit weak in my forge actuater but i can still get 1.4 bar with a controller;-)

skiddusmarkus

Yes it would, assuming you have actually got a 1 bar spring in it already(you might not have).Also, its a fair bit of messing to get to the actuator spring.Can you definitely see its a forge actuator?

geoff pine

Forge colour code there springs so once you get it open you will know .Why do you think its a1bar actuator did you buy it from forge or did the last owner tell you its one there standard one for a gtir is not 1bar ? .I would not run your car with out some form of boost controller as the standard Nissan actuator could in theory run 1.4bar a 1bar one could run maybe more than two bar .:doh:

Last edited: