did my first track day yesterday!!

boucherie

Well i think the adrenalin has finally left my system, so time to reflect on the days events. Got there (snetterton)in good time and parked up where i could see other jap motors it was all arranged as a virgins event on one of the other forums im on.
Started speaking with one of the bloke who was telling me about the laps he'd had in a 200sx which had massive amounts of grip, and then commented that with my brakes i should be fine on track!
Signed in, blah blah blah, then followed duncan (the forum founder) round for the corner chat which was top class and gave me a good reminder to avoid the kurbs if i value my car!

First session went well, started building up speed but couldnt get the car to boost upto 1.2bar would only just go to a bar. Didnt like coming out of russells as i had to take it in 2nd but then struggled to get 3rd everytime and then i was having to go like fook down the start/finish line to get any decent speed up. overall a good session and hope i proved a few people wrong about the little pulsars!
Second session started well enough, let one fo the 200sx's go past and then settled into a groove, managed to top 120down the revetts straight but was backing off way to early as i didnt want to screw up the entry point to the esses especially after dunc told up of what happens if you get it wrong!
Towards the middle part of the session the car started to have a slight puff of smoke on upward gear changes so i think this was due to the seals as the oil was upto 120deg C at this point so some was seeping through and same on the oil return from the turbo as there was a few spots under the car when i parked up.

I was the only pulsar there and was surrounded by scoobies, skylines, rx7's and many more!

Overall im very impressed that my little car stood up to the test but before the next one im going to have to:
redo the pipe run again,
raise the suspension,
change brake fluid,
get propshaft rebalanced cos it was knocking like a sod all the way round!
change front wheel bearings and bumpsteer kit
fit the z32 as i was maxing out the stock maf all the way round!

this could become a very expensive hobby!
some pics (video footage to follow!):

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Good Effort!! Nice to see a GTiR on the track!! Nice looking car you have there too!

Rishi

boucherie

cheers rishi, just a shame that i couldnt achieve full boost as i think i would have surprised a few more cars out there, but im back in one piece so cant be too bad! cant wait to see the video footage, sadly no in car action!

Rishi

boucherie said:
cheers rishi, just a shame that i couldnt achieve full boost as i think i would have surprised a few more cars out there, but im back in one piece so cant be too bad! cant wait to see the video footage, sadly no in car action!

When most people setup boost controllers they generally sit it in one gear, foot down and adjust the duty accordingly. I have my own way of setting up duty but generally its going to be quite low across the rev range.. Now this is fine for normal driving or when on the motorway..

When it comes to a Drag or Track and you are flying up through the gears you will not achieve full boost with those settings.. For this environment you will need a much more aggressive duty setup on the boost controller.. I used to have one setup for Road and another for Track.

Rishi

boucherie

rishi - the duty on the avcr is normally around 56% which is what it was set to when the mapping was done. should i have increased the duty above 60% to give me more grunt or would that then start conflicting with the map?

jim - i got your PM after the car was setup but it wasnt far off what you said anyway. tyre wear is fine, but think im gona have to raise the suspension as the rear is only just higher than the front (as in a few mm) so think this didnt help but the car did feel quite balanced going through the corners, no twitching which was reassuring!

Rishi

boucherie said:
rishi - the duty on the avcr is normally around 56% which is what it was set to when the mapping was done. should i have increased the duty above 60% to give me more grunt or would that then start conflicting with the map?

For a normal drive boost duty i usually set it high for the the first few thousand RPM and ease it to a steady low duty level.. This is ideal for road use..

For the track stuff i run mine up at 85% duty all the way across.. Works well when hammering full throttle through the gears. Works great for track. Note that if you run this boost setting for normal driving or motorways you WILL overboost! So bare that in mind if you start playing with your controller..

Rishi

boucherie

bout 1/4 tank for 2 sessions of 20mins so not too bad and wasnt really on the edge in the 2nd session once i started puffing smoke on upshifts

F

FiXXXeR

awesome effort mate!!

I got my first track day coming up this weekend coming!! I cant wait any advice

Tk1

glad you enjoyed it mate, are you signed up for the evening session at snetterton next month, if so i'l see you there, should be a couple of pulsars there
Tk

boucherie

FiXXXeR said:
awesome effort mate!!

I got my first track day coming up this weekend coming!! I cant wait any advice
yes, spend a lap or two building up speed and familiarise yourself with the track, especially if this is your first event. Naturally people will be quicker than you so keep your eyes open and remember to indicate right to show them that you know they are there and are letting them past.

other than that, dont panic and build yourself into it, no-one will thank you for crashing or attempting to break track records!! when we had our briefing the track manager said the lap record around snetterton was 54.9 seconds (the tracks 1.9miles long!!)

Tk said:
glad you enjoyed it mate, are you signed up for the evening session at snetterton next month, if so i'l see you there, should be a couple of pulsars there
Tk
yes all being well il be there, just got to sort out a couple of things on the car when i get back from holiday and hope it stays together to get me to JAE on the following weekend! would be good to see a few more pulsars mixing it with the others!

gtirpulsar

boucherie said:
get propshaft rebalanced cos it was knocking like a sod all the way round!
You might find it's your exhaust. Mine does it for fun cos the clearance is only a few mm from the bulkhead to the front pipe