Detonation issue

B1Ad3

Ive just checked my timing and reset it to around 20 degrees, might be about 19.

Ive also changed plugs and leads and running 98 ron petrol however im getting detonation below 3000 rpm. Once past about 3k rpm everything is fine.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Mr GTiR

How do you know it's det? You got a Knocklink in your car or just driving round with DET cans on :lol:

B1Ad3

well pinging/pinking/detonation i hear as a mettalic tapping noise at low RPM when an engine is pushed. Hard noise to explain but i can hear it when the engine is pushed at low rpm's, at the moment anything below 3k.

Ill be rechecking timing soon to make sure i have not advanced more than 20 degree's.

M

modifiede36m3

Is your car uprated in anyway? if it is you can try some colder running plugs. 1 heat range will remove about 100degrees from the combustion chamber.. the pulsar use a NGK 7 as standrd try an 8 or 9 this will remoive some heat even if it does not solve your problem.

Mr GTiR

modifiede36m3 said:
the pulsar use a NGK 7 as standrd try an 8 or 9 this will remoive some heat even if it does not solve your problem.
Steve, unless he's running BIG power then grade 8's will do most GTiR's. I'm close to getting on using grade 9's but if I do then that will cause me problems. As my car runs quite rough until the plugs are hot enough but I have put this down to being too rich on start up and cruse.

Also, if he changes plugs it's just masking his orginal problem. He still needs to find out why it's detting at such low rpm.

B1Ad3 - what is the spec of your engine and turbo set up? How much boost are you using?

i think by the sound of it hes getting pinking which is often caused at low revs! normally down to a lean mixture, could be tons of things.

B1Ad3

The engine is stock with a front mount, its running 10 pound and was been dyno proven to be running 12.1 AFR or somewhere close, have to find the sheet somewhere.

Im in australia and its summer over here so 30 degree and up days i changed my plugs to 8's in the last service to try and lower the combustion temp and it has helped, was much worse last summer from memory.

How are the gtir's from stock low in the revs, are they fine or a bit lean from factory?

Mr GTiR

B1Ad3 said:
How are the gtir's from stock low in the revs, are they fine or a bit lean from factory?
A stock GTiR map runs very rich imo. The only thing in the UK is that we never run our cars in 30 degree teperatures! We should be so bloody lucky!

Have you tried to lower your inlet charge temp? Poss water injection?

B1Ad3

Micra Ed said:
This is the standard fuel map:

http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/gtir/nn14fuel.jpg

Blue region is closed loop.

Ed
Cheers for the fuel map but i have no idea how to read one of those.

The front mount should be ample your cold air but yes i have a water jet system on the front in the making but is not yet operational.

The hot weather is a big factor in all this i know, i dont think it sa big issue but it is there.

Maybe its just a sign i was pushing the car a little to hard for the hot day?

10 pound is standard boost for the R factory is it not??

Could it be possible its leaning out because there is not as much backpressure from factory due to the 3 inch exhaust so the fuel is getting sucked out. Bad explination but couldnt think how to word it.

Last edited:

Keira

B1Ad3 said:
Could it be possible its leaning out because there is not as much backpressure from factory due to the 3 inch exhaust so the fuel is getting sucked out. Bad explination but couldnt think how to word it.
its about as likely that your fuel is being 'sucked' out by the exhaust as you having a hole in a piston and some of the fuel is dropping straight into the crankcase before igniting :lol:

Last edited: