Cutting out

bolf

My car has started cutting out and im stumped, im getting 12 volts with the ignition on and 14.4 volts when running.(on pfc)

It is running fine 1 day then it will just die all of sudden.It doesnt stutter or conk out it just switches off lol. It will normally start again straight away but today it was turning over but wouldnt fire(took about 5 mins).

Ive checked battery,leads and alternator and carnt see any problems.

Help please.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Switches off in what way? Total dashboard (electrical) black out? Stalls and oil and alternator lights come on?

Fuel pump might be faulty? Ignition amplifier?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Double check youve got a good earth too if the electrics just cut out
It's worth giving the battery connections a wiggle and making sure they're good; sometimes the connection is good enough to run the minor circuits, but not the major ones.

bolf

Switches off in what way? Total dashboard (electrical) black out? Stalls and oil and alternator lights come on?

Im not sure i will check next time it does it.

The earth conecter on the battery was dodgey as in when it was fully tighnten you could still move it, so i made a stainless spacer at work.

thanks for the replies.:)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Depends if it's a 3 circuit immobiliser on the fuel, ignition and starter circuits.

bolf

Well it cut out 3 times in 5 mins on the way home today. It just cuts out then the battery light, oil light and ABS light all come on.

bolf

Update, well after a couple of days the car wouldnt start at all, found there was no fuel getting through so took out the walbro and found it was running intermittently and also the plug from the back of the pump that plugs into the white plastic cover was fuckd. So i got new pump and plug and it started straight away:lol:(this was about 2 weeks ago). I then thought since it was of the road i would get the arches done and get it resprayed and get a few other jobs done, but today when the lad who is doing the work had it ticking over it cut out and wont start again!!!!!:doh: so back to square one. We took the pump back out and its working fine, but for some reason its still cutting out. HELP PLS.

Cheers Gav.

danr

knackered fuel pump relay? loose wire to fuse? fuse seated correctly for fuel pump? battery clamps secured on terminals tightly? battery knackered? loose alarm wire?
ecu knackered? error codes? coil dying?