Cut Slicks / Trackday Tyres

O

olidaviesuk

Hey All,

Just wondering whether people on here have had any experience using cut slicks or the trackday styled race (barely legal) road tyres that Toyo and Yokohoma produce.

Not a track novice by any means, and always do the usual up the pressure by 4 - 6 psi so you don't rip the edges out the tyre. Anyway went round silverstone at Trax the other day (first time round there) and the Perrellis I was using went off after 3 laps, this (oh and going into copse a bit too quick) ended up in me spinning and getting dumped in the gravel which pretty much finished the tyres off ;o)

Would appreciate any feedback from peeps who are already using these tyres...

Have previously tried Dunlop, Falken, Yoko, Perreilli & Goodyear but always seem to only last one or two good trackdays, so either this option or im getting another set of wheels and sticking some avon slicks on them :D

Keira

tbh dont think you'll find any of the road legal jobs will last that long :(

maybe better off the slicks for track use plan 8)

GINGA

The toyo r888's are getting exellent reveiws not just for grip and pretty good wet weather handling (apart from standing water :wink: ) but also for tyres life with people seeing 10k+ road miles from them :shock:
There is some questions over sustained track use though with people suggesting they are more suited to sprints than long periods on track but that is on evo's which are far heavier than a R.
The toyo t1r's are also getting exellent write ups for their alround ability and cheapness 8)
And no I don't work for toyo :lol: its just there the tyres which get the most mention on various forums etc

Dooie Pop Pop

GINGA said:
The toyo r888's are getting exellent reveiws not just for grip and pretty good wet weather handling (apart from standing water :wink: ) but also for tyres life with people seeing 10k+ road miles from them :shock:
There is some questions over sustained track use though with people suggesting they are more suited to sprints than long periods on track but that is on evo's which are far heavier than a R.
The toyo t1r's are also getting exellent write ups for their alround ability and cheapness 8)
And no I don't work for toyo :lol: its just there the tyres which get the most mention on various forums etc
:shock: still lurking dude :wink: hows things?

matey Wes has the T1 r' s on his fq and he rates em quite highly 8)

GINGA

Yep still lurking :oops: :lol: Hows things erm well boring but reliable would probably be the best answer :lol:

Well at leat one person mentioned getting over 10k miles out of r888's, with some as little as 4k miles with alot of track work.
The Dunlop D01J's also get very good reviews for both road and track maybe more so than the r888's for track 8)
check out the mlr tyres section for exellent info and comparisons on tyres 8)
http://www.lancerregister.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=22

Best to use the search though to get straight to what tyres you want to know about.

Keira

toyos r888s are what i've got but i think mike killed his in on a track day at brands.

did use the words sh!t and blanket to describe them though 8)

O

olidaviesuk

cool, sounds like the Toyo's might be worth a look, a set of tyres for general and track use probably will work out better for my wallet rather than having two sets, wheels etc....

I seem to remember reading on here a while back about slicks putting excessive wear through the drive train and possibility of box damage etc.... any thoughts?

GINGA

I still can't decide whether to go for the 888's or the t1r's when its time to change :?
I 'd like to go with the 888's due to the extra grip and better turn in and they look awesome but the price (nearly double the t1r's) and the possible wet weather issues is off putting as I wouldn't like to pussy foot around when its soaking :cry: considering it seems to spend most of the time that way the t1r's will probably get the nod 8)

deank93

GINGA said:
I still can't decide whether to go for the 888's or the t1r's when its time to change :?
I 'd like to go with the 888's due to the extra grip and better turn in and they look awesome but the price (nearly double the t1r's) and the possible wet weather issues is off putting as I wouldn't like to Subaru foot around when its soaking :cry: considering it seems to spend most of the time that way the t1r's will probably get the nod 8)

What sort of money are we talking here as i'm on the look out for new tyres very soon.....i'm on 17's

Ta,DEAN.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Yokohama A048-Advan R - 215/45/17

£117

Toyo R888 are about the same... :wink:

Well from my supplier anyway... :p

Rishi

D

DOT2DOT

Im going out on michelin slicks on the 18th. They are second hand from the clio cup challenge. Ill post up how i get on.

K

KRS

Not from personal experiance, but from other peoples advice, I would choose the Dunlop D01J's.