Custom 3 “ exhaust system

H

hum

I have the chance to get a full exhaust system made in 3 inches all the way through, But do you lot recommend getting the exhaust sticking out of the front so that all I will be getting is a 3 “ down pipe and then a box sticking out of the front bumper.

As I think this may be too little backpressure. As you still need some back pressure, even through it’s a turbo car.

The car is only used for drag, and track days, so no mot needed.

Or do you lot recommend just getting a full 3 “ system from the turbo all the way through to the back of the car with a box at the end.

I need to get a custom system as I have an HKS 3037R turbo, and a new top mount manifold, so no of the shelf exhausts will fit.

Thanks for your help

Ryan

J

jiw

i disagree, what about the 2 cars at totb last year, RC developments evo and jason gant's pulsar both run front bumper exit exhausts 8)

youngsyp

There is no such thing as 'too little' back pressure. In the ideal world you wouldn't have any. It is an urban myth that back pressure, in the exhaust system, is favourable on modern cars !
The only problem you may have is with boost control as the back pressure in the exhaust can help with controlling this. Without back pressure, on a 'normal' set up, you may get big spikes. However, I'm sure you're set up is far from normal and a good boost controller will sort this out.

Although, as the other guys have mentioned, most tracks will have a db limit !

Cheers

Paul

Jobi Joba

back pressure is only usefull on N/A engines to help all the exhaust gas to leave the cylinder.
It's a question of pressure waves.

In turbocharged engines,no such things:the freeer the exhaust, the faster the spool up!! ;)

J

jiw

to enter totb apparently you are meant to be fully road legal, MOT tax and insurance, however i think people are entering cars that dont run on the road from one year to the next, jeff

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
More performance from a front exit as there will be little or no back pressure...

Lighter too...

You will be allowed on the tracks because Dave @ AWD uses a front exit and still gets onto Knockhill...

Rishi