code 21! please read - updated

tomble

any common faults to relate to a code 21 on the fault code checker?
i have done a search, but found nothing too helpful :(
that is if slow slow fast equates to a code 21?

tom

tomble

thanks fastguy!

i do actually have a workshop manual on cd, but i'm at work so cant access it.......!

suppose i should have waited until i got home :oops:

tom :roll:

tomble

The next question is... whats the powertransistor unit? and is it likely that this is the cause, i know i've just read in black and white that this will be the remidy, but yo unever know.

i've just spent ALOT of money getting the car 'sorted out' and when i picked it up from the tuner, it was litterally no better than it was when it went in.

They replaced:

Injectors (recon)
MAF + Reground etc
Lambda sensor
actuator
tps

fuel pump was tested for duty etc

The car is sooooooooooooo slow at the moment, hesitates from 2k onwards, once you get to 4k you really feel like letting off as there is no go whatsoever, it will rev but no pull at all, it strugles to reach 80 mph. boost is fine, all been setup standard.

You may have read another post i made about my car being dyno'd at 204 bhp, the tuners reckon its now producing 270bhp... not likely with just zaust de-cat + filter. i received no new printout either :?

I phoned them and explained the problem, they asked me to bring it in so i could show them.. i did this and they admitted it was running like a bag of crap and promptly did another fault code check (i could have done this myself) it was popping up with a code 21, which they said they had not seen previously.
Now they are suggesting i post on here to find similar running problems and feedback to them from there!

since they had it for a MONTH and the bill was over £800 you can imagine how angry i am at the moment :(

any thoughts anyone?

Tom

youngsyp

First thing I'd fiddle with is the coil pack and connectors. Not sure how you can test the unit itself but, clean all the connectors up, along with the H/T leads etc... and see if that solves it. If not, try to get another coil pack from somewhere and swap them over.... Look for any crack on the dizzy cap and the H/T connection on the coil pack. If you run the car at night and look under the bonnet, any arcing/spark tracking will be quite apparent !

The only reason I'd go back to these so called 'tuners' would be to get some money back or put a brick through the window :shock: :D All they've done is look at the fueling side. They could have checked all those components without replacing them.

If the car is behaving now, how it did when you took it to them, they should have checked the ignition side straight away, it's text book stuff :roll:

Let us know how you get on chap.

sypher

Ok, first thing to do is test coil resistances, primary 1 ohm, secondary 10k ohm next reconect all components have engine running and then test voltage TO coil - should be altenator voltage. next test connections from coil neg' to transistor, then transistor to ground, then transistor base to ecu, can check p.d. but for bad connections but would be better with scope.... check that neg' of coil is connected to ecu pin 3 ( i think ) via resistor.. also one other check unscrew transistor and clean surfaces then refit after applying heat transfer paste..

hope some of this helps ( actually difficult trying to describe in text )

Stu..

tomble

Update everyone!

Thankyou all for your technical advice, its totally amazing that you're so willing to pass on your knowledge, and i am very greatful indeed.

I took the car back to the tuners today, and obviously explained everything, and they agreed that the car was deffinately not right.
Had it dyno'd again, this time producing 170bhp :shock: after adjusting the timing which was slightly out, the fuel curve was still dropping off as revs and boost increased! they then realised that when they road tested the car before i picked it up they had by-passed the fuel filter and everything was ok... obviously when they brought it back in etc they refitted the filter, which turned out to be extremely dirty and causing this whole head ache :x

why the ecu was throwing a code 21 is also a mystery, the ecu has been cleared of faults now and the car is producing 245bhp and 212lbs/ft!

Thanks to the guys at AP Motors for tearing their hair out for the last month, and getting my R sorted out at long last!

Thanks again for reading everybody!

Tom 8)

Dooie Pop Pop

how much was your final bill? bet it would have been easier and cheaper to post in the problem section :wink:

as for ap motors tearing their hair out :lol: pmsl! never used em tbh and after being caught out by a dirty fuel filter i wont be either :roll: useless :roll:

why bypass the filter anyway :?

T

Toady

fast guy - why not go out with a bang this weekend then?lol! :lol:

Keira

tomble said:
obviously when they brought it back in etc they refitted the filter, which turned out to be extremely dirty and causing this whole head ache
read the above

Thanks to the guys at AP Motors for tearing their hair out for the last month, and getting my R sorted out at long last!

now this must be sarcasm at its finest :lol:

if not wtf are you on mate ? you've been stung £800 cos some stupid @rse never thought to change the old and dirty fuel filter on your car :shock:

i'd be calling them c nu ts for aslong as they stayed in business :lol:

tomble

Trust me, you have no idea how pissed i was/still am with the company, i'm skint becuase of a fricking fuel filter :evil:

Tom