clutch problems / blue smoke out of exhaust

• Thread starter heaven is a gtir (bry)
  • Start date
H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

1. clutch problem. some times when i put my foot on the clutch it stays on the floor is it the seals or the clutch its self.
2. blue smoke. when im sittin at traffic lights after about 30 seconds on idle blue smoke appears for about 5 seconds i have been told this could be the turbo seals or the stem seals. answers on a post card. :cry:

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

first day on the site still finding my bearings. can you help me thats why im here?

mattygti-r

no 1 question what clutch are you running in the car?

id say its the clutch if its standard one OR the cylinder , try bleeding the clutch fluid then trying the drive it again

get a support bracket for £10 too,

no2 id say thats your turbo esp as if you say its running slugish as well

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

dont know what make the clutch is. i will try to blead it tomorrow. i think its the turbo too but the garage that did the work say its the stem seals. i think they dont want to do the turbo again cos he had a ball ache with it and it will be under warranty. cheers for the help fella.

K

KRS

Hiya mate.

Welcome to GTIR ownership :) as painfull as it can be.

I had a similar problem with the clutch pedal, It was the Master Cylinder that was leaking for me, but first try bleeding it as suggested.

Blue smoke is normally the turbo, what work did the garage do for you?

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

I am going to blead it today, fingers crossed. the garage did a full service then found the turbo seals had gone so they replaced them. then they found the shaft and turbine had gone. then finally the exhaust packed in so i got a goosse.

K

KRS

Before they open your engine, I would check that your turbo is ok with another garage... Did you have the blue smoke before? They could be right, blue smoke is not always the turbo. But the turbo is not that hard to work on, not compared to everything else on the car ;)

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Just had a look at the clutch cylinder and bled the system seams better but not perfect. While i had the turbo to air filter pipe off it was mingin with oil so i think the turbo seals are gone. :( The smoke has been there since the muppet did the seals so i will be around there on monday morning! :evil:

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

been to the garage today and he says piston rings or crank case pressure. i will have to check the crank pressure at the w'end.