clutch help

coxie

:? yes i have searched but get conflicting opinions.what clutch will handle 400bhp/400lbft 8) in single plate without going down the very expensive route or os giken route as i have heard far to many stories of destroyed gearbox casings with the quaife and os clutches. :shock: :shock: :cry:

might do the odd rwyb but mainly street use. :twisted:

was going for the rps clutch but have read a lot about inferior parts in these kits is this true :?:

what are peoples recommendations for a clutch then.car has quaife,full engine rebuild etc and a gt2871r turbo and when run in plan to run approx 1.6 bar :D

please help and leave input good or bad.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
coxie said:
was going for the rps clutch but have read a lot about inferior parts in these kits is this true :?:
What inferior parts? I haven't heard anything apart from it uses the standard Nissan friction plate. I'm getting one fitted next week :?

coxie

:? :shock: :D see this is the problem i read about something somewhere then ask questions and so far most answers say the rps clutch would be fine.

i need help as i know nothing about clutches and i feel it would be easier to knit fog than determine a clear pov from the search archive :roll: :)

so am i safe to assume that off my scetchy spec :wink: in previous post that rps 475lbft rated clutch would do the job or should i go for helix. :?

not heard much about helix tbh :?:

O

Odin

I'v got a spec 6 paddle clutch fitted to mine, Cost me about £175 from JGY customs :shock: , And is rated at 464lb's.

I'm running 400 + bhp at 1.5 bar and it's holding fine so far, And it's also not to heavy as say an HKS clutch is :cry: . Mind you I haven't done any trackdays or 1/4 miles on it yet.

Choosing a new clutch these days is such a mind field :oops: :cry: ,I think you would be ok with the OS clutch as long as you stick with standard engine mounts :wink: , I'll proberly get an OS clutch or super clutch next time, I'm just waiting to see how evrybody else gets on with them lol :wink: .

rob

rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
If if it has to be a single plate then i would use the one that Rob has...

Seems to do the job...

Other options are the RPS Metalic Paddle or the HKS Metalic 3-Paddle...

They are both good for 400lb.ft torque...

Rishi

coxie

:D rob thats the problem i already have a full set of solid nismo mounts on the car. :shock:

rishi-can you source me one of these clutches rob has or is it not wise having a paddle with solid mounts :?: :D

Rishi

coxie said:
:D rob thats the problem i already have a full set of solid nismo mounts on the car. :shock:

rishi-can you source me one of these clutches rob has or is it not wise having a paddle with solid mounts :?: :D
See with solid mounts there is nothing there to absorb the movement and pressure exerted on the casing when engaging gears... Paddle Clutches are really on and off.. Quite harsh and will send shocks through the casing which the solid mount won't absorb... This is what seems to lead to the casing cracking...

See my clutch is a solid disc - no spings - this i due to the fact that i will be running high rpm's and spings in clutch plates can fail... But with std softer mounts i it should be fine...

You need a clutch that won't be so harsh that it will stress the casing...

Rob's one seems ok... Didn't seem to harsh at all... But then its a 6 paddle rather than the usual 3 or 4...

I can sourse you any one you want... i just don't like the idea of solid mounts... you need something to take the stress off the casing...

Look at F1 cars... There rear suspension is mounted on the gearbox casing... and they know this causes a lot of stress so they make the casing from a very strong material...

In Japan they WPC treat the STD gearset and casing... Not quite sure what it is - looks like some sort of strengthening treatment - but they seem to do it on all their hi power cars...

I looked into the option of having a casing made from stronger material... First i would need to buy the moulds and then its about £7k - £15k worth of work to build... :shock:

Hope that helps you some...

Rishi

coxie

:shock: :shock: :shock: :D :cry: so as i have already bought and fitted the nismo mounts which clutch would you recommend then. go for the rps,helix, rps paddle,robs paddle or ????

must admit i am tending to favour the rps over all of them

not heard anything about the helix clutches. :?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Organic plates.

I'm thinking of going back to them again as the daily drive is a pain (and embaressing with wookie noises). Anything less than a full bore launch feels slower with the twin plate metallic as you either let it in slowly or it bogs down and judders.

The reason I stopped using organic plates was becuase of leaving the car before its rebuild for 9 months, I found the clutch disc had fallen apart. :roll: :shock:

The guy at superclutch says his organic and metallic plates produce the same clamping force (Though I don't understand how in practice), the difference between the plates is strength and heat resistance.

Jim

Rishi

campbellju said:
The guy at superclutch says his organic and metallic plates produce the same clamping force (Though I don't understand how in practice), the difference between the plates is strength and heat resistance.

Jim

The clamping force is provided by the clutch cover plate... Using the same cover will provide the same clamping force...

Remember thats how the RPS Organic works... It uses the standard clutch plate but with a hi pressure clutch cover which allows it to hold more torque..

Coxie... What are you wanting to use the car for... Lots of drag and track or mainly road driving..?

Rishi

coxie

:D the odd occasional rwyb day at elvington etc and mainly weekend odd weekday road driving to and from work and mates. :D whys that mate :?:

Rishi

No worries... :wink:

Coxie... I would be looking at a driveable clutch... Twin Plate Organic SuperClutch would be ideal for your usage...

Rishi