Clutch/Gearbox problem?

DRC

My problem is with the clutch / gearbox. I have a good recon box and a helix organic clutch ( quite stiff but ok for daily driving) fitted about 9k ago.

Right .

When the car has been sat and is cold it engages all the gears with no major problem ( when driving)and the bite is around the bottom to middle but when it has been run for a while and I try and get into first or reverse ( with the clutch right down) it wont engage into gear and just crunches/ whines.

( its like the clutch system is losing a little pressure and is not engaging, plus the bite is right at the very bottom and i have to turn the car of and start it in gear to get going .)

I have replaced the clutch master cylinder for a new one and I have to say that it has helped if only a little . I have checked the hydraulic system for leaks and the slave cylinder is also fine.
I wondered if anyone has had this happen to them and what did they do to fix the problem.

I am kind of hoping its not a bent clutch fork

Also when the clutch is pressed down the slave cylinder moves but not a great deal............ ( again there are no leaks)

Jonesy

I have the exact same problem. My clutch pedal had broken away from the bulk head and the bracket was flexing rather than engaging the clutch. Still dont understand why it was worse when the car had warmed up. I've fixed the bracket. Still not perfect though think my fork may be bent aswell. But i would check your pedal see if it has broken away and that there's no flex.

P

pulsarboby

clutch fork split or worn through at pivot point is my guess! or bulkhead is splitting

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
My problem is with the clutch / gearbox. I have a good recon box and a helix organic clutch ( quite stiff but ok for daily driving) fitted about 9k ago.

Right .

When the car has been sat and is cold it engages all the gears with no major problem ( when driving)and the bite is around the bottom to middle but when it has been run for a while and I try and get into first or reverse ( with the clutch right down) it wont engage into gear and just crunches/ whines.

( its like the clutch system is losing a little pressure and is not engaging, plus the bite is right at the very bottom and i have to turn the car of and start it in gear to get going .)

I have replaced the clutch master cylinder for a new one and I have to say that it has helped if only a little . I have checked the hydraulic system for leaks and the slave cylinder is also fine.
I wondered if anyone has had this happen to them and what did they do to fix the problem.

I am kind of hoping its not a bent clutch fork

Also when the clutch is pressed down the slave cylinder moves but not a great deal............ ( again there are no leaks)
is the clutch pedal travel smooth or does it squeak, click & grind a little ?

DRC

I think it is the pedal box coming away from the bulkhead as there is a squeak coming from there( plus there is quite a lot of flex) and i have also fitted one of your support brackets mr Steve. when i have taken this off and tried to use the clutch is a lot worse . So i am going to strip it down and get the welder to it.

I am guessing bent forks are a gearbox out job?

Thanks for the help guys.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I think it is the pedal box coming away from the bulkhead as there is a squeak coming from there( plus there is quite a lot of flex) and i have also fitted one of your support brackets mr Steve. when i have taken this off and tried to use the clutch is a lot worse . So i am going to strip it down and get the welder to it.

I am guessing bent forks are a gearbox out job?

Thanks for the help guys.
yup, clutch forks are a box out job.

Just be careful when welding up inside the dash area as if you don't strip things out the way things tend to catch fire :shock: you'll need to get some sort of grinder up in there so it's best done by removing the dash :cry: