Clutch bleeding problems.

Hannie

Decided to change the clutch fluid today, bled out lots of black crappy fluid which had little bits of black crap in too. Now there is no pressure at all in the clutch pedal, press it down and it stays down. Theres no resistance behind the pedal what so ever. I stripped down the slave cylinder to check all the seal and they all look fine and no leaks round that area. No leaks around the clutch pedal either, all I can think of is that the master cylinder has degraded inside so theres no seal left. Weird thing is, it was fine before I bled it, so why would it suddenly 'go' ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Keep topping the reservoir up. You'll need to pull the pedal off the floor. Also just crack the bleed nipple open, don't open it too much or you'll have problems.

It does go stiff again, honest. (the clutch pedal too:lol: )

Hannie

Ive pumped the pedal for like 10 mins at a time with no pressure build up and only a drip at a time coming out of the bleed pipe. Its fresh fluid coming out so its definetly getting through, just under no pressure.

Shaun

each time you press the pedal down you need to close the nipple before you lift the pedal off the fllor otherwise you just suck air back into the system.

Hannie

Cheers peeps, stupid me thought it would be a one way valve! Never 'bleedin' presume anything! Will report back after I spend 3 hours pumping...

GTIR-LOZ

when i changed my clutch i fitted the braided hose as well, it took me forever to bleed out its really a 3 person job one on the pedal 1 one the cylinder and one topping up try and use a container you can see into so you can see when no more air is in the system

also you dont need to satrt off by locking and unlocking the bleed screw just make sure the other end of the hose is in fluid and you wont suck air back in, but do the lock and unlock when not much air is coming out to get the final amounts out, sometime locking off and giving the pedal a good few pumps and then undoing the nipple can help

Hannie

Finally got it sorted, had to press it down, close the screw then pump it loads of times, open it, press it down, rinse and repeat. Just need to get some fuel in now to see how it really feels. Cheers guys, saved a knuckle smashing waste of time! :D

MarkTurbo

You lot certainly like making hard work for yourselves :lol: Bleeding the clutch is a one man job! Just open the bleed nipple, keep topping up the reservoir and let it gravity bleed until no air comes out then do the bleed nipple up, and thats it job done!

In all the years ive been working on R's i dont think ive ever bled a clutch by pumping the pedal ;-)