clunking noise with mixed tyre size

A

Anonymous

Just got my first Gti-r:
Problem started after I fitted a set of tyre 205/45-16" front &205/50-16" rear.Strong smell of cooking diff oil after a while driving .Thought may be oil needs changing.Changed the diff oil .Drove again this time noise from the drive line, may be shaft after driving ashort distance clunking noise .The noise stoped when stopped, drove again it came again.
"IS IT A NO NO MIXING TYRE SIZES ON A GTI-R BECAUSE OF 4WD"
If so what damage have done? Learning the expensive way.[?]

turblio

Well done on getting your R but bad luck with mixing tyre sizes
it is defo not allowed both diffs are working against each other so
you MAY have damaged the crown wheels and all sorts of linked gears

quote:Mines not white its Ivory

O

Odin

quote:
"IS IT A NO NO MIXING TYRE SIZES ON A GTI-R BECAUSE OF 4WD"

[:0][:0][:0]You Muppet thats going to cost you a fair bit matey[:(][:(].

Looks like you'v learned the hard way that you DON'Tmix tyre sizes on a 4 wheel drive

Wanted free lipo-suction

J

jasegould

quote:IS IT A NO NO MIXING TYRE SIZES

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooohh...its black..yawn..with 17'S..yawn..mongoose..yawn...zzzzzzzzz...BUT NOT FOR LONG!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Canon, your viscous portion of the centre diff is probably not working anymore. The centre diff will need to be replaced. If you leave it (the rooted centre diff) and use the same sized tyres (very important), you can still drive it but the drive will not be sent to the rear and you will have (at the extreme) drive only from the front wheels and when spinning the wheels only one front wheel will spin with the car not being propelled forward (due to the front diff being a open centre).

J

J-GTi-R

For those of you who aren't from the Antipodes, rooted means f*cked (just in case anyone thinks a rooted dif is a special kind of torsen system or anything).

J.

Willing to exhange body parts for tuning bits... my kidney for a new clutch anyone???

A

Anonymous

Refitted same size tyres & every thing seems normal [8)]

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone who responded to my .....Ta very much!