Closed Loop

PaulB

Ive just been reading some posts on passionford, and those cossie lads are pulling 30+mpgs when thyve had a closed loop system fitted.

There pretty impressive figures, something most of us could only dream about.

Is its something you could do on the gtir? use wideband with the AEM ECU do something like that ?

Pretty interesting reads......... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fusion Ed

Pulsars already have closed loop systems. If you drive very very carefully (it is hard lol) you will get that or more. I drove one back from Sheffield and easily got more than 30mpg.

PaulB

yeah, ?
Whats the parameters, same as this ??

ECU stays in closed loop mode untill one or more of the following conditions is exceeded:

throttle opened more than 35%
engine speed more than 3800rpm
boost pressure more than 4psi

So basically, when cruising along at 75mph, none of them conditions are met, ecu is operating in closed loop condition, and fuel consumption is nice and low,

Fusion Ed

That's because the temptation to push the throttle is to great!! You can easily get more if you are very careful. :)

youngsyp

*Edited after some brief calculations*

Currently, for normal day to day driving to work, mine manages a consistent 20 mpg. That's using practically no boost and no more than 3k rpm.......ok maybe once a week !

On a motorway run, the most I've seen is around 29 mpg with 28 mpg being about average. I'm sure this could be a bit higher but, the problem seems to be once I get on A and B roads, after the motorway, I like to use the throttle more ! :)

Last edited:

PaulB

so how the hell is stu at MSD making a chip to run the cossies on closed loop, which consistently gives far superior MPG, easily 30mpg+ on a run.

Good stuff like.

M

micra man

when you drive a car like this mpg is a waste of brain power ,
every gtir should be equipped with a shell sponsered towbar:lol: :lol:

PaulB

but thats just it.

People say that no one gives a to$$ bout MPG, and they MAP/fuel the car with that in mind.

"performance comes at a cost son" to quote a garage near me.

To a certain extent that is true, but the car would be a whole lot more liveable if i could get 30mpg+ on a run, something the cossie lads are doing with the MSD chip.

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
paulb81 said:
but thats just it.

People say that no one gives a to$$ bout MPG, and they MAP/fuel the car with that in mind.
Bollox,you map a car with torque/power production in mind.Who would tune/map a car to get more MPG?.If you're after more MPG or are worried about MPG,go buy a diesel :doh:

paulb81 said:
"performance comes at a cost son" to quote a garage near me
Very true ;-)

Fusion Ed

You map for MPG in part throttle light load, say anything below 0.4 bar boost. Then ramp down to power as the load increases. There is no point what so ever to map every point on a map for maximum power as you just dont need to when you have higher load cells which if needed can provide the power just by pressing the throttle a bit more.

geetee

I'm getting about 27mpg consistently.

400 miles a week. Mostly motorway cruising during the week and brain out at the weekend.

But then I have a very mild spec - just 1.2bar on standard everything other than filter, goose, colder plugs, walbro pump and profec B spec II.

Must be lucky or maybe I just drive like a granny :)

Cheers
Graham

stumo

oap-r said:
Bollox,you map a car with torque/power production in mind.Who would tune/map a car to get more MPG?.If you're after more MPG or are worried about MPG,go buy a diesel :doh:
Now That's bollox, why would you not want MPG when cruising along (say) a motorway or an A road when you don't need power (and the engine couldn't produce much anyway).

So what you're saying is you'd map a car to have a constant AFR of 12.5 (the point where most engines produce most power) ???

idle....12.5
cruise....12.5
full power....12.5

doesn't make sense (and your engine wouldn't respond as well either)

Braveheart

Car manufacturers could produce vehicals that could do 100+ mpg but the oil/fuel manufactureres and the government would have kittens over the loss of revenue. In this time of eco friendlyness, they are trying to force old motors off the road for the co2 emmissions but it's a crock of smelly stuff if you ask me. Look at the VW Beatle.... that was taken out of production in the UK because it was too reliable... go figure. Maybe we could fit a piggy back deisel engine in the boot for regular commuting but you may find yourself pushing up daisies if you were to design such a thing.

O

Odin

I agree the old fella (OAP) is talking out his ar5e again as ever :der: :roll: , I was speaking to the guy who mapped my car last time and he said he ran his evo very lean at part throttle, And that's also what I've been trying to achieve ;-) .

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Well i must be the only 1 in the world that is getting their engine mapped to maximise torque throughout the rev range without any thought whatsoever to mpg :thumbsup:

PaulB

oap-r said:
Bollox,you map a car with torque/power production in mind.Who would tune/map a car to get more MPG?.If you're after more MPG or are worried about MPG,go buy a diesel

Ive got one, you think im mad enough to run the GTiR as an every day car ?? lol

Be nice to consistently get 250miles to a tank tho, make the car more pleseant, as well as wanting to use it all the time too !

Last edited: