Clicking / Knocking Noises!

nickg123

My car is currently making some rather strange/annoying noises!

Firstly, when driving along, and making a left turn - if i free-roll around the corner so i can hear things other then the exhaust, i've got a reasonably loud clunking sort of sound - it sounds like it's coming from the rear right but i can't be 100% sure on this.....

Could it be the Diff? Driveshaft?

Also - how would i know if my front suspension struts had gone? I get a knocking noise when you first touch the brakes (as if the suspension is going down) and also when i pull away from a stand still - we couldn't find any worn ball joints so could it be the suspension?

Cheers for any ideas in advance [:)]

www.anythingcars.net - Make All Your Pulsars Dreams Come True [8D]

A

Anonymous

sound like cv joints. the car looks sweet in rally colours.

J

J-GTi-R

The front knocking sounds like it could be worn bushes, so have a good look at them (you should be able to spot if they're stuffed).

J.

Hey, is that an SR20DET you have there?

zia

sujjest you check your antiroll bar links all round.and check your springs aren,t moving on thier seats.

zia

lord of the "R"

nickg123

How do you check all these things?

I think it must be a CV joint, the clicking is quite bad - but it almost sounds like Plastic?!? Does that make sense? It's pretty loud though.....

Only does it when turning left - and sounds like the rear right?!

nickg123

I'll try explaining again in better detail...

If i go out to my car before work - start it up, then go to pull off my drive (sharp right turn) just as i move i get a clunk through the suspension/steering, then as i drive up the road there's a down hill left hand bend, if i free-wheel around this, about two seconds into the turn you get this reasonably loud clicking sort of noise - like you've got a stone in the tyre but louder, and more like a clicking sort of noise......

A

Anonymous

Grinding, Knocking noise

I have a 98 GTI 4cyl, I had the supsension changed to drop the car about 1.5 inches. When I make a full right turn, only when I cut the wheel all the way I hear some type of grinding noise. It sounds like metal against metal. Then Ill get a couple of knocks, like something is stuck. It only happens when I make a complete turn, sort of like if I was doing a 360. When driving straight or making regular turns it doesnt happen. I know its not my wheel bearing cause i had them all looked at. Actually had one replaced. Any ideas please assist. Thanks in advance.

S

SunnyGTIR

When one of my front suspension top mounts was knackered, as soon as I turned and moved from standstill it would clunk a lot but couldnt really hear it when moving.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Could the driveway clunk be a rear pad sticking/binding over night and freeing up as you drive off? Do you notice the rear end dip at all?

A

Anonymous

This is weird because I've just started getting a clicky noise but coming from what seems likethe passenger footwell or behind the glove box(its hard to tell). If u can imagine the clicking noise sounds like the noise when turning on the hazard lights or when using the indicator (click.click..click.click - but only one at a time) Is this like yours?

A

Anonymous

Hey, SunnyGTIR, do you think it can be my top strut mounts that are causing this? I know I need to change them.

S

SunnyGTIR

vw147 said:
Hey, SunnyGTIR, do you think it can be my top strut mounts that are causing this? I know I need to change them.
Could be but mine didnt have to be on full lock to clunk.