'Choke' Problem - Air, Fuel??

dav-gtir

Had the car back from the tuners for a good while now but doesnt really get brought out or driven in anger too much so only really starting to notice this in the last week when it's been in daily use. .

In first the whole way up to around 4.5k it just seems to be flat and then when the turbo kicks it feels fine ( put the flat feeling down to lag maybe because running the bigger turbo)

But it continues in 2nd and 3rd when it's lower than around 5k when accelerating and gives a 'choking' sensation when you put the foot down until it clears about 2 to 3 secs later. . basically feels like it cuts back till it clears up and then the turbo pulls it out of it!!

Don't get much of it in 4th and 5th but in those gears it's nearly always higher into the revs than where this problem occurs. .

I'm running Hydra standalone ECU(so no MAF) and got a new Walbro pump in a the time of work done a couple of month ago.

There's also a heavy smell of petrol coming from her and it's eating it like its going out of fashion, but I put this down to being about alot of bhp up from before and after sending her away. .

Anyone had similar probs before, or does it sound like fuel or air probs???

I'd expect everything car and map wise to be running 100% because you could nearly get a small fuckin deposit on a house what I give them!!

Any help is appreciated ;-) Could take a wee video later if thats good to help anyone. . was getting slightly depressed earlier knowing it just wasn't running right again :x

whizzn

I'm having this problem with my car also at moment so will be intriguing to see what you come up with

You say your car doesn't run an AFM though, most of my problem were solved by giving this a good clean as covered with film of oil internally

Make sure the connection to your MAP sensor hasn't fallen off or anything as this strongly sounds like a mis reading to your ECU about amount of air coming into motor

If this is all connected and working properly then you'll need to get retuned as sounds as though they may have running too rich and flooding the motor

dav-gtir

I've changed the air filter to a better one with a pipe going down to the bumper to get maximum cold air in, didn't think it would affect the map but it has got worse since that's been done, although it was still happening with the old air filter too :?

Will have to get the funds up to take a spin up again for mapping because they're quite a bit away from me :sad:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
take it back to the mapper
Seconded.
If you paid them to do the job of mapping the car, and it isn't running right; take it back and say "What the fuck did I pay you for?!";-)
Even after this amount of time, I'd be asking them why it's gone wrong... I wouldn't worry that you've only just noticed; you can always say that you thought it would go away once the car settled-down, but it hasn't.

dav-gtir

The last email said to bring it back up and that it 'sounded like overfueling', and also that 'it was fine 'when it left, so don't know if that is them trying to wriggle out of the blame hmmm :?:?

Fooking depressing when things never click right which you get used to in an R but when you pay other people money you expect it to be done right :lol::lol:

antgtir

Check your oil for fuel smell. If its prominent then id be thinking that there was overfueling low down in the rev range. Overfueling can possibly lead to bore wash so be very careful.

With regards to the tuner, it doesnt sound like they are very receptive to your issue so id probably take it to an independant tuner and get a second opinion without telling them that they are checking someone elses work if you know what i mean.

Good luck.

Ant.

kirko

rule out the obvious stuff first like leaking intercooler pipes etc. and do a fault code check if you can with that ecu

could be a sensor faulty, but it does sound like a mapping issue so dont get screwed by the mapper!
you obviously havent changed the map so if like you say it wasnt right to start with then its down to them

P

pulsarboby

i agree with what everyone else is saying damhan!
your a little stuck for choice in ireland but it deffo sounds like a big mapping prob.

what you need to be carefull of (as ant has said) is fuel mixed in with the oil....that will borewash and destroy your engine in no time at all.
youve spent your money now on this ecu setup but personally i think youve made a rickett by going for something as obscure when you could of had a standard ecu remap or gone for something much more common like an emanage or apexi pfc as theres loads around that can map these units.

i think if i were in your boots and located where you are i would swallow my losses (assuming mapper does not know how to sort the prob), and go for a much more conventional setup.

i bet im not wrong in saying that whoever you bought the hydra setup from sold it to you as it was the best thing for a gtir and it would give you so much more benefit over all the other crap setups such as pfc etc etc:doh:

dav-gtir

Thanks for the replies will have to check all the issues mentioned early next week because flat out until then so won't be able to get near the car to have a look. . Had the oil out last week to install an oil cooler and wasn't any noticeable smell of petrol but saying that it wasn't something I was exactly looking for at the time eithier.

On a secondary note anyone want to buy a Hydra??:lol::lol:

I was looking at between the Motec and Hydra for a while and what sold it for me was another owner here saying it had worked bang on for his car and he wouldn't change it for any of the others, very responsive etc . Looking up for the same ECU fitted to other models of cars on the internet all seemed to be positive from the people who took the plunge and cashed out for it which helped too.

Maybe it's just a bad map. . I have the map files on my PC here and the Hyrda software is free to get but I wouldn't like to even touch it a wee bit because I'd be afraid after tweaking it the car would blow up lol

I've already been in contact with another place here that maps them and got their price but will be hopefully be taking it back to the original mappers next month and finding whats wrong because as I said the job is supposed to be fooking done right :x:x