Changing gears

icecool70

Today i took the beastie for a spin and when i got back and had to reverse i couldnt get it in gear,couldnt select any gear for about 3 mins then just like that it started to go back into gear. sometimes with reverse when i go to select reverse it will crunch but if i put it into 5th then into reverse it wont crunch. any ideas what this problem could be? thanks

dobby

If you hold the clucth in for a few seconds when you stop will it then go into gear? I had the same on a gearbox before it was as if the geartrain wasnt slowing down fast enough to select reverse. I am sure it needs to stop before you can get reverse or it will crunch.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Today i took the beastie for a spin and when i got back and had to reverse i couldnt get it in gear,couldnt select any gear for about 3 mins then just like that it started to go back into gear. sometimes with reverse when i go to select reverse it will crunch but if i put it into 5th then into reverse it wont crunch. any ideas what this problem could be? thanks
Things to check:

See if the slave cylinder seals have gone - located at the front of the engine block, near the thermostat (fluid leaking)

See if the master cylinder has also packed up, round the back if the engine (bulk head - fluid leaking)

Change the fluid in the system, might need changing.

Clutch fork could well be bent/punctured, hence why your losing the ability to change gear.

icecool70

It only seems to do it when its hot..when its cold it selects gears fine. could it be that the oil in the box is no good if so what would be the best oil to stick in to see if that cures it?
i will check the other things you suggested fubar tomorrow
except the clutch fork as thats a different story as the gearbox has to come out for that i suppose?